(13) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

"Thanks for letting me borrow your laptop," I say as Nathan tucked Ethan to my bed who fell asleep on the ride home. His tiny form fell back onto the pile of extra pillows I requested for because, strangely, I'm not the three-pillow kind of girl anymore.

"Since when do you need loads of pillows to bed?" Nathan asks, his voice hinting mirth.

"When the longing for a male company becomes too overwhelming," I answered, dramatically batting my eyelashes.

He smiles disarmingly. "Is that an invitation?"

"Nope." I reached over the bedside lamp and flicked it off.

He feigned disappointment. "Body heat is better than your pillows."

"I had enough of your body heat." I played along, shooing him to the door.

He held back a chuckle and started walking to the door with me following just a step behind. Nathan suddenly stopped that my face almost ran straight into his broad back. He looks over his shoulder before reaching for the doorknob. "Last chance. Is that an invitation?"

I pressed my lips together, struggling not to laugh. I smack his shoulder. "Stop it. You're going to make me laugh."

He twists the knob open, laughing softly. "Okay, then. Want to join me for coffee?"

I purse my lips. "I'm not craving for coffee but, yeah, I think I'll join you."

He ushered me to the kitchen where he made himself a cup of coffee like it was his own house. In his defense, he practically lived here since we were kids, so I supposed my house is his second home. "Since you're not going to drink coffee, I take it you're here for the company?"

"Hmm, that, and also I'm craving for a glass of Pinot Grigio." I walked past him and opened the fridge. I took out an unopened bottle of Pinot Grigio before closing it with the side of my hip. I clasp the bottle and wrestled with the cork, surprised to find Nathan now holding a wine glass. Even more surprised that he still knows exactly where to look.

He sets it down next to his cup and walked around the counter. "You're going to hurt yourself with that."

I step back and frowned stubbornly when he tried to reach for the bottle. "I can do it."

Nathan leaned against the counter, hand going to his pocket as if waiting patiently for me to just give up. Which I did a couple more minutes later.

He took the bottle and tugged at the cork effortlessly. He reaches for the wineglass and poured it himself. He hands it over to me. "You feel better?"

I took the glass. "A little. Thank you."

"You know, I can keep you company during your vacation." He sets aside the bottle and retrieves his coffee from the counter.

I sat on the bar stool, patting the one next to me. "Don't."

"Why not?" He looked genuinely wounded.

"I don't mean it that way. It's just that you have your own life to live." I say, patting the stool one more time.

Nathan narrowed his eyes and finally sits next to me. "I'm living my life."

"You have business to run," I pointed out.

"I'm not the only one who runs the business. I have my cousins. I pay some people too," he countered.

I shake my head. True. Walsh, Spencer, Colin and Reese are always on his side. They're the brothers he never had. But then, I can't in good conscience let Nathan disrupt their already rigid schedules. "You've sacrificed enough. And also, your cousins have their own lives too."

"Well, I need some vacation too."

"Do you have to be a good guy?" I turn all the way to him until my jean-clad knees were brushing against his thigh.

He grinned boyishly. "I'm anything but."

"Right." I snorted. "You've been keeping my dad company. He can rave about you all day. Plus, you spend dinners with my parents."

"Your dad can't overwork himself with the gardening. And they invite me over."

"You always have the choice to say no." I take a decent sip on my drink.

He chuckles. "I can't say no to them. They could use the company when Kathie is out partying with her friends."

"See? Right there. Good guy."

His brows knotted slightly.

"You make me look bad," I kid.

"I'm just trying to keep everyone happy." He lifted his shoulders.

I gesture my wineglass at him. "And you're doing a really good job at it. How are your parents?"

"They're great. It's been a while since Starlet and Jett visited home, but they keep in touch."

"Good. Do they still drive your parents crazy?"

He scratches the back of his neck. "It's Starlet and Jett. They drive everyone crazy."

I nodded, placing my glass back onto the counter. Silence echoed between us. I could sense his eyes on me but kept mine on my wineglass.

"What are we thinking about?" He stares intently as though he might find answers on my face.

I raised an eyebrow. "Who said anything about thinking?"

"You're always thinking about something that you often keep to yourself." He mused.

"Since you know me that well, couldn't you guess what I'm thinking about?"

"I can't know the specifics, but my guess is a random thought you're contemplating on whether to consider or not."

I grinned. "I think I just considered it."

"Okay. Mind sharing what you decided to consider?"

I swirled the wine in my glass thoughtfully. "You know, mom and Kathie told me maybe I should just give a few second chances away to have a love life. I think I still have some single ex-admirers."

His hand froze mid-sip. "You're considering that?"

"They might be right. I mean, how will I know if I won't take a chance?"

"Are you sure? There's a reason you rejected them."

I shrug. "I don't know. It's still just a thought – nothing harmful."

"