(23) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

I got lectures in three different versions (by each family member) for spraining an elbow – my dad's being the longest one I had to sit through. I shouldn't have gone on a date with Hunter behind his back. Or I shouldn't have gone to a date, for that matter. Especially with someone he doesn't approve – which is every man in town except Nathan. However, my family is biologically incapable of staying mad at me. Their silent treatment hadn't even lasted for thirty seconds when I pretended I was having trouble with my cast.

Mom and Kathie helped me out in the shower, stayed through the awkward dressing with one arm part.

My dating hiatus is official. Firstly, because I got only three names listed on the official list. Secondly, if there were still candidates I need to remember, I don't. And lastly, I can't go on dates expecting them to spoon-feed me because my elbow is injured.

I sat back against the piles of pillow behind me. On my lap is a book I picked from my shelves. When my eyes need a break, I just look out my window where the first rays of sunshine come streaming in.

My door swung open, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Good morning, mommy!" Ethan walks over to my bed, feet bouncing. Cautiously, he gives me a hug and peppered my face with kisses.

"Does it still hurt? Daddy said you fell off the couch last night and hit your elbow." His eyes were bluer with concern.

I blink, surprised that I have just been relieved from the agony of telling my son I was backing away from a kiss because I freaked out. I smiled and tousled his hair. "Why do you smell this nice in the morning?"

"Daddy and I are off to work." He shrugs.

"This early?"

Ethan nods. "It's an early meeting. And then we're going to make birdhouses. You're coming with us."

"Wait, hold on, baby." I clutch his shoulder, reeling from his mention of "we."

"The meeting is not going to take long. And we'll hang out at daddy's place. We're making birdhouses again. You won't get bored, right?"

"Okay, that would be nice. I'm not sure about the 'work part' though."

He looked a little heartbroken. "Why not?"

"I can hang out with you guys after the meeting. Where's your daddy?"

He beamed. "He's making you breakfast."

Nathan comes in with a tray and my bedroom was brighter all of the sudden. "Good morning, sleeping beauty."

My jaw dropped. "What's happening?"

"Obviously, you're eating breakfast is what's happening." He strolls toward my bed and lays the tray down my lap.

"Breakfast is served," Ethan announced with a dramatic little bow.