(27) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

I barely gone out of bed all morning. I knew Nathan has knocked on my door thrice and even left me five missed calls. The only call I did answer was William's – the only guy I can face today. I can't even see my own reflection without recalling that one 'almost' moment last night. I tossed and turned in bed, wishing I've responded differently.

More sensibly.

The only time I allowed the sushi wrap of a blanket off was when I took a shower to get ready for the dinner date William has rescheduled. I grabbed one of the few dresses I bought with Kathie the other day. I chose the gray A-line dress, curled my hair the way I styled it yesterday.

Mom comes knocking on my door.

"Sweetie, William Rossi is in our doorstep. Your dad refused to let him in." She smiles apologetically.

I groaned frustratedly. "Oh, my God. How old am I?"

"Not old enough, apparently," Mom replies with a wry smile.

"I'm almost ready," I murmured as I was re-applying mascara. I then grabbed my purse, and reluctantly check my reflection in the mirror. Given the lack of sleep I had last night, I focused trying not to look sleep deprived.

"You look gorgeous, honey." My mom takes my hand, scanning me appreciatively.

"Thank you. Actually, I'm feeling nervous. And thirsty. Where's Ethan?" I was told he'd be with the Foresters today. I just thought he might be home by now.

"He's sleeping over at the Foresters. Nothing to worry about. Nathan's siblings are home. It's been a while since Starlet and Jett took a vacation. Will you drop by and say 'hi'?"

I nodded, hurrying down the hall. "I will. But I need to get William out of his misery first."

"Okay. I'll inform the Foresters," she calls out since I was heading the stairs.

I scurried inside the kitchen, toward the fridge. I poured myself a glass of water, almost spilling all over the counter. I drank in large gulps before tilting the glass to my forehead. I flinched when Nathan appeared in the doorway. I thought he'd be at his parent's with Ethan.

"What's William Rossi doing outside?"

I put the glass of water to the sink. "He's here to pick me up."

"I thought he canceled on you."

I shifted from one foot to another, uncomfortable under his scrutiny. "Canceled dates can be rescheduled."

Nathan leaned against the doorframe. "When did that happen?"

"Earlier today when he called." I ironed the hem of my dress with my sweating palms.

His head tilted to one side. "But you didn't answer mine."

"Look, I was asleep most of the day."

"You just happened to not be asleep when he called?" His voice turned subtly accusatory.

I twiddle with the sling of my purse. I'm too nervous to meet his gaze. "I'm sorry, I'm just too anxious about this date," it was half a lie, "And I'm sorry about last night, too."

He straightened. "Chassie, last night—"

"I know. I'm sorry. I swear, I didn't mean for any of that to happen. Maybe we just had too much wine. Maybe it was just the nostalgia," I blabbered.

His eyes flicked away. "Nostalgia."

"Yes. It was just a massive case of nostalgia. I'm sorry, can we talk about this some other time? I don't like William waiting like a homeless person in front of my house." The truth was, I can't be in the same room with him. Not yet. Maybe tomorrow I've already forgotten about the whole thing. Just not now.

Something crosses past his eyes. I would have analyzed it, but it was gone too soon. "Okay." He smiled.

I sighed a breath of relief. "Good. I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow."

He nods.

I walked past him, constantly running an agitated hand through the curling ends of my hair. I stopped dead in my tracks when I heard him whisper my name. I look over my shoulder and plastered the brightest smile I could muster at the moment. "Yeah?"

His smile waned. "You look breathtaking."

"Oh. Thanks." I turn back around, my stomach doing a somersault.

***

That one casual compliment wasted the night away. The date happened in a blur. I hadn't realized how much distracted I was until William Rossi was walking me to my doorstep.

He has been a gentleman the entire evening. He is a perfect depiction of "The One." I just wished I haven't been miles away all night. My mind was reeling and frustrated at the same time, waiting for the sparks to fly. Honestly, it's harder to start the tiniest spark when my thoughts are somewhere else.

Nathan should have kept the compliment to himself. If he had, he wouldn't be in my mind the entire night.

"Good night, Chassie." William smiles, a dimple poking on his cheek. His moonlit brown hair sways with the evening breeze and his eyes were gentle and kind.

Like Nathan's if only they were blue. If only they could stir some butterflies in me.

I blinked, jerking away from my train of thoughts. "Good night."

He took one step closer, pausing to see how I respond.

I clasp his hand and stare back at his face for the tiniest spark. For anything close to fuzzy. I rolled to my tiptoes, urging my heart to skip a beat when he lowers his head closer to my face. When his eyes pierced on mine, it stirred something. Not what I was expecting – hell, a far cry from whatever I was expecting. But whatever it was, it has misled my lips to his cheek.

I can't believe I just kissed the guy on the cheek!