(38) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

I swipe my tears away as I near my parents' house. I glance up the rearview mirror and blinked back another rush of tears. Kathie's text wasn't about picking up Ethan. It was to ask if Nathan was doing better.

I just had to grab my ticket out. Out of Sydney's judging lip-gloss smile. Out of my blinding failures Sydney painted into words.

My phone buzzes. I ignored it. It's probably Nathan again, checking for the nth time if everything was okay like I hadn't already replied the first time he texted.

There were still tears that prickle at the back of my eyelids, but I squared my shoulders and climbed out of the car. With bolder steps forward, I entered the house. Closing the door behind me, a smile grew on my lips when I hear Ethan's laughter and Kathie's default hyper voice from the living room.

I paused at the doorway. Kathie and Ethan are hunched over the coffee table, legs tangling on the plush rug. Coloring books are splayed on the table, crayons cluttering.

"You're so excellent at this, sweetie. These are another five stars." Kathie scribbled something on the coloring book.

Ethan grinned and took the book, eyes glimmering at the page where his five stars stares back in commendation. His eyes hoisted from the page and landed on mine. His blue eyes sparkled in recognition.

"Hi, baby."

"Mommy." He scrambled off his seat, coloring book in hand and rushed over to me. His arms stretched out for me as he jumps up and down.

I chuckled, complying to his urgent request. I lifted him off the floor to my arms and branded his forehead with a soft kiss.

"I got five stars. See?" He showed the neatly colored drawing of a cow grazing the grass.

My heart swelled. "Wow. That looks really good."

"Are you proud of me?" He asks giddily.

I peck on his nose. "I am so proud of you, baby. Always will. Let's celebrate with some cookies."

His blue eyes sparkled even bluer, his face brighter. And he has the smile so pure and elated – because I saw the five stars.

I look back into his proud gaze. And knew then, that I did one thing right. This one thing I will never exchange for a less failing career.

Ethan giggles.

"How's daddy?" He flounders from my hold and so I put him back to his feet. He takes my hand, tugging me toward the coffee table.

"I'll go get the cookies," Kathie gushes and stood up, relocating her heels before skidding out of the living room.

Ethan flops back down on the rug, grinning down to his coloring books.