(43) Ex-husband

Nathan punched the horn too many times

Nathan punched the horn too many times. He should have waited until the rush hour subsides. It wasn't like he was in a rush to go home. He was just in a rush to be alone. He left the Lewises' house, cautious not to run into her because if there's anyone who shouldn't be there in the first place, it was him.

He wanted to get away. Needed it for his own sake. He can't be in the same room with her without unraveling. An independent, grown man like him still hilariously loses his head around her. Chassie George always had these fortuitous ways of drawing him in.

Nathan impatiently drummed his fingers on the stirring wheel. There was a drilling in his chest that hurt like hell. He'd pay good money to make it all go away. But then, if such privileges could be bought, he might as well buy himself a second chance on Chassie.

He might just be her childhood sweetheart. He could live with that. To him, though, it wasn't just some fleeting childhood memory she was bound to grow out of. She was a crush when he was a kid. She was a dream in high school. She was a life he wanted to live in in college. And now she's a future he couldn't be a part of anymore.

It leaves a gigantic hole in his gut.

Nathaniel Forester is a broken-hearted man.

He had been for quite some time. For years – if he were to be honest and pathetic than he already is. Some days it was a tolerable discomfort. Most days like this one it was unbearably bad.

Nathan allowed himself a curse after finally breaking loose from the traffic. The road away from the chaos of the city used to give him a sense of calm. He sped up a notch as the urge to turn the car back around and change his mind overwhelms him.

He's limiting his choices. Just this once.

His house neared and he let his hands loosen around the stirring wheel. Easing the car into the driveway, his brows knitted at the sight if his sister's car already parked out front. He yanked his keys out and treaded toward the house.

He opens the door. His sister almost knocked him off his feet when she threw herself at him in a hug that he had trouble breathing in. "Starlet, what are you doing here?"

"I used my spare key. I'm here for you." She steps back and kept him in arm's length. "We heard about the Farewell Party." She pushes her huge sunglasses to her head.

Nathan studied his sister's face. He was glad she'd gain all the weights that she lost in the past few months. He had kept close watch on her since her meltdown. "I'm not going to the party."

"I know, silly." She links her arm with his and led him to the living room.

Jett was lounging on the couch in his trunks. His blue eyes darted to them. "Hi. We heard about the party. So, we brought you some of these babies," he points to the bottles of alcohols on the coffee table, "to numb the pain."