Why Up So Late? || Poe X Reader

Your POV

The dim light of the datapad glows on your squinting, utterly exhausted features as you mutter various curses all in a vain attempt to stay awake.

"He always pulls all nighters catching up on work... Why can't I?" You muse aloud to the dark, empty room.

Usually, at this hour, the room would still be abuzz with two people chatting, catching up on their busy, chaotic days.

Or maybe those two people would finally be able just to have some alone time, cuddling and watching different holos.

The small room that you and your fiancé, the famed reckless and loyal to the end Resistance pilot, Poe Dameron, shared was currently only occupied by you.

One of the two.

Rubbing your eyes, you attempt to continue to focus on the report in front of you.

"First Order... Advancing into farther branches... Of the galaxy... What a surprise." You mutter, squinting further in another vain attempt to continue to read.

Ugh. This is hopeless!

"This war, reading this datapad, and having hope! What is hope nowadays anyway?" You yell, throwing your hands in the air out of frustration, the datapad clattering to the ground.

Feeling worse now than you did before, you crawl into bed, pulling the covers over your head, attempting to just block out reality for awhile, long enough just to get some much needed rest.

Where is he? He should be back by now.

It was just recon.

What if-

You stop your thoughts there, blocking them from going any further.

Poe is fine. He's just running behind, that's all.

Taking a deep breath, you roll over, trying to get comfortable only to fail miserably.

"Are you serious!" You hiss, on the verge of tears now.

Jumping out of bed in rage, you slam your feet against the floor and stalk over to where you had left the datapad, which was still open.

Might as well try again, seeing as I can't sleep.

****

Hours pass, and somehow, you had just managed to finish reading one report and half of the second one.

"I can do this... I've just got to finish this one and then I can sleep..." You muse aloud, getting caught up in the blurred words and their meaning.

So much so that you jumped when a rough, yet soft hand rests on your bare shoulder.

"Why are you still up, love?" A familiarly exhausted masculine voice coos from behind you, easing your abrupt surprise.

"Poe..." You breathe, letting your tense muscles relax as you lean into his touch, placing the datapad aside. "You're back."

"Of course I'm back... Why wouldn't I be?" He jokes, a yawn interrupting his sentence. "But I'm still waiting for an answer from you."

"Hm?" You yawn, likely sounding like a fool as you lean more and more into his touch. "Oh, yeah. I was reading those reports... I couldn't sleep without you..."

At this, the pilot chuckles.

"Well, we can solve that."

The next thing you knew, you were being held in a pair of strong arms before being laid in the same bed you had so angrily left hours ago, the sense of being held disappearing only momentarily before being replaced by a warm figure laying beside you, holding you once more.

"Better?" He whispers with a yawn, snuggling closer into you.

"Better." You murmur in reply, as you let sleep finally overcome you.

"I love you so much... Never forget that..."