t w e l v e

THE THREE MANAGED TO SIT IN SILENCE FOR AN EXCEPTIONALLY LONG TIME, and yet they were only a quarter into their journey to Tatooine.

Bazine, the Suerton creature tapped his foot to his favorite song replaying in his head. The Mandalorian sat unmoving in his passenger seat, gloved fingers on the controls and helmet moving slightly to follow passing stars. Mia, bent over in concentration as she sharpened the tips of her weapons.

As she scraped the edges of her favorite, emerald encrusted dagger, her thoughts began to wander to boredom. She no longer had to sit obediently quiet next to the bounty hunter - she had new company to entertain herself.

"So Bazel -"

"Bazine." He looked up.

"Whatever," She examined her dagger tip before sharpening the next. "What got you locked up in the most secure prison on Cantonica? How did you manage to piss off the Imperials?"

Her mind itched at the mystery fugitive they were harboring. Although the Mandalorian stayed stationary, he couldn't help but be intrigued as to what he had to say. He too had pondered the same thing.

"Have you ever heard the saying surrounding my kind?" He said.

Mia furrowed her brows in thought before saying, "My mother used to bless me with the luck of the Suertons - some superstitious myth she inherited."

"Oh, it's no myth." He smiled, "Suerton's have the ability to subconsciously affect probability. From a young age, I was taught to harness this ability."

As a child, Mia had never intended to leave her family farm. The rich plains and fertile fields were enough to satisfy her curiosity. Upon becoming a bounty hunter, however, she had witnessed parts of the galaxy her ancestors could only dream of. Slowly, these innocent myths were becoming easier to digest as reality. Mia had come to realise myths that were believed in, tended to become true.

"My probability skills were so enhanced that I wanted to challenge myself to the most established casino in the galaxy. I went to Canto Bight not for the reward, but the excitement."

"You're insane." Mia scoffed.

"Maybe," he nodded. "But shutting down one of the most advanced planets in the outer rim is quite the adventure."

Mia glanced up, intrigue filling her eyes. He'd gotten her attention now.

Bazine giggled, "In a single night, I'd wiped out every gambling table at the casino, cleared cash deposits from banking my chips. Cantonica has a strong dependency on Canto Bight. The casino fuels the entire planet."

"How did you get caught?" She gaped.

"After a couple of weeks, the casino was finding it difficult to repay its loans with no assets to hand. Local businesses that depended on the casino's growth went out. Banks, government buildings, recreational centres all disintegrated. That night the casino was wiped out clean, they finally traced me down to the single source."

Mia sat, knives down and lips parted. "Welll...shit."

Although he expressed it neither verbally not physically, Mando was also surprised. He thought he was transporting some petty theft leader, not a criminal of this magnitude.

Mia returned her short attention span to her blades, "Well I hope you don't plan on staying on Tatooine for long. Your home planet is the first place they'll look."

"I'm grabbing my things and heading over to a friend of mine inhabiting unknown territory." He grinned.

She looked up at the passing stars in thought, "I wonder how much the bounty on your head is. For a crime like that you've gotta be worth something big."