Chapter 26: The First Battle of Mon Cala

(AN: Hey guys, I'm really sorry this took a long time to post. The past few days have been really rough for me and my family. My grandpa, who I am very close with, had a heart attack and is in the hospital and not doing well, so if you could please wish him well or pray for him if you do that kind of thing, I would really appreciate it. I'm posting this chapter because writing and seeing your guys' comments has really been the only thing getting me through this rough time. I don't really know how much I'll post in the next week or so, but I'll try to keep everyone updated. Much love -Rach)

(UPDATE: He is doing much better, thank you for all of your sweet comments. I really appreciate you all. Much love!! -Rach)

Even with the immense new firepower, Alana noticed that the fighters were still being blown to shreds. The Separatists had received reinforcements and were coming at the cruisers from the rear. The fighters had lost the support from the cruisers, who were now being engaged on two fronts.

"We've got to get rid of those droid control ships," Alana said to herself, moving her ship away from the battle to examine any possible strategies.

That's when she noticed it. One of the droid ships was opening every few moments and dropping their shields to send more troops to the ground. If they could disable it, a third of the vulture droids and their respective droid controls would go down.

"Fighters, we have to take down that control ship!" Alana said, beginning to speed towards it.

"Sir, you'll never be able to take it out, the shields are up!" Alana could hear one of the clones say to her.

"Every thirty seconds, the doors open and the shields go down. If we can take that out, we'll be better prepared," Alana said, counting down until the shields would go back down.

Suddenly, as she was making straight for the ship, she heard Sylvan's voice crackle into her headset.

"I can't shake them!"

Alana looked out her window to see Sylvan's ship being followed by half a dozen vulture droids, all targeting her systems. Alana clenched her jaw and turned back to the droid ship. She had to choose between saving her apprentice and taking out the droid ship. There was no debate. 

Alana pulled back from her attack and raced towards Sylvan.

"Hold on!" Alana said, using two of her homing missiles and sending them towards the vulture droids. She flew right through the explosion, using her blasters to fire at another disgruntled droid ship.

Suddenly, she watched as Sylvan's ship turned off and the vulture droids had to veer away to avoid her. Alana whirled out of the way and glanced back over her shoulder at her Padawan. She took down the remaining three before turning back and heading towards Sylvan's ship just as it turned back on.

"Sylvan! Are you alright?" Alana called.

"I'm fine, Master. I was just tired of having those stupid droids on my tail," Sylvan replied.

"You're welcome, my young Padawan," Alana said. "Come on, this fight isn't over yet."

"I can't, Master. My ship is severely damaged. They took out my blasters. I'll need to get into a new ship first," Sylvan admitted.

"Then go," Alana said. "And hurry back. We have quite a few more droid fighters to dispose of," Alana veered her ship away from her apprentice and headed back into battle.

But before Sylvan could head back towards the ships, suddenly a giant blast rattled from the cruiser that had been accompanying Admiral Ivanov's cruiser. Alana watched in shock as the cruiser crumbled apart, leaving only two cruisers left standing. She could feel a disturbance in the Force as thousands of men went down with the ship. It made her shudder, and she shook her head.