2. The Late-Night Visitor

When the wedding festivities were over, you tumbled onto your futon back at home.

The evening's events flashed before your eyes. Not much has happened. In fact, each ritual was so painfully boring.

And where was Muzan, your new husband? You haven't seen him since the ceremonies ended. He told you that he had some friends to meet up with.

But really? On your wedding night? Couldn't he have rescheduled his plans? You already prepared a new room in the house for him to stay in.

Before you could sulk any longer, you heard something at your door.

Knock! Knock!

You whipped around to see the source of the sound, and grinned at the tall boy who stood in your room's courtyard doorway, backlit by the evening's moonlight.

As always, he was...gorgeous.

Perfect.

Stunningly handsome and cool.

You don't know how to describe him any other way.

Dark blue eyes that pierced through the night, black strands that were smartly fastened into a low ponytail, his long legs and broad shoulders... Dressed in his usual half red-half checkered haori that covered a black uniform underneath, the boy stood strong and returned your gaze.

"Tomioka-san," you breathed.

The boy placed a finger on his lips. "You don't want anyone finding me here, do you?" he whispered as he closed the door behind him. He then took a seat at the edge of your mattress.

Despite his cold stare and silence, you knew that the boy was here tonight because he missed you: he wanted to check up on you.

And you wanted to, too.

"How was your day, Giyuu?" you chimed, asking the usual question that seemed to always prompt answers from him.

"Good," he noted, his blank expression unwavering. "I just came back to Tokyo after visiting a village in the north with Shinobu Kochou."

You frowned at the unfamiliar name. "Shinobu Kochou...?"

"I've introduced you to her before. Remember when I snuck you out of the house that one night, and we went to the Butterfly Estate? She also visits your family shop often to buy herbs. She's small, short, dark-haired." He paused. "A complete prick, too," he quietly added under his breath.

You nodded as a memory of the girl slowly resurfaced. You only remember Shinobu's kindness, though.

He continued, "We went to that village because there had been recent attacks by demons. We defeated them last night and finished wrapping some things up over there."

Demons. You had almost forgotten that nineteen-year-old Giyuu was a member of the Demon Slayer Corps.

Only three years ago, you had anxiously watched him train in the nearby woods, where he seemed to aimlessly swing his sword at some rock.

You also remembered when you tearfully bid him goodbye before the Final Selection, and when you wrapped your arms around him upon his return.

The boy was also recently promoted to Hashira, the highest rank in the demon-slaying organization. As his childhood and longtime friend, you were extremely proud of Giyuu's accomplishments.

"Ooo, that must be fun," you gushed, referring to his recent trip.

"Tch," he scoffed. "That Shinobu girl annoys me. She spent half of our joint mission preaching to me that 'Oh, we should get along, Tomioka-san' or telling me 'Tomioka-san, haven't you realized that everyone hates you.'"