Chapter 26

Hello everyone! I'm only a couple days late this time, and that's because for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to schedule my update for when I'd be on vacation? Anyway, now that I'm back in town I realized I had this chapter finished and ready to go, so here you go! Hope you enjoy it!

Once again, the amazing and talented @sereneur  created the graphic below. They deserve all the credit in the world for taking my vague ideas and creating such a beautiful work of art every single time. Thank you!  

 Thank you!  

The only sound that could be heard in the room was the clicking of Celeste's heels as she approached the throne the Inquisitor sat on at the front of the room

When she finally came to a stop, she stood with her hands on her hips and her feet shoulder width apart as she lifted her chin and gazed defiantly toward the Inquisitor.

The Inquisitor's eyes narrowed as she recovered from her shock. "How do we know you're truly an angel? The Clave has seen impostors before."

Celeste raised an eyebrow. "Have you ever seen a Shadowhunter without runes?"

"They could be covered with makeup." The Inquisitor shot back immediately.

She wasn't ready to give up, and remembered the odd things she and Izzy had figured out in the lab. She reached over to one of her wings and yanked out a feather, flinching at the pain of it. She held it just high enough to let everyone behind her see it as well over her large wings.

The Inquisitor's eyes widened almost imperceptibly as everyone saw the feather slowly change colors to a midnight black, just as it had that day in the lab.

Still, she was not impressed. "An enchantment by a Warlock." She reasoned, sending an obvious glance toward Magnus.

Celeste sighed and dropped the feather to the floor. She'd have to try Plan C.

She looked over to Lydia and got an idea.

"Lydia, could I borrow your earring for a moment?" She asked politely.

Despite her confusion, she nodded and handed it over.

She stepped back up to the Inquisitor, but this time stood to the side so that everyone could see what she was about to do. "Watch closely." She grinned, anticipating the reaction.