Chapter Forty-Five: Rip Up a Part of Your Soul

"Pain insists upon being attended to

"Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world."
― C.S. Lewis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was early March, and things were going well. The days had passed very quickly, and I was reviewing my class notes, trying to get ahead for finals.

Avery sits in the chair across from mine. I don't even look up. "What are you doing? You don't study." I muse, making him scoff.

"I study.... sometimes." He adds after I look up, giving him a look.

Rosier strolls up to smack Avery upside his head. "What the hell, man!?" Avery demands, and Rosier gives him a fake smile.

"Stop annoying the poor girl." He drawls, pulling out his own potions book and giving his friend a look.

"I wasn't annoying her!? Val, was I annoying you?" Avery hisses the last part. I smile, still working on my Potions equations.

"No, of course not Avery," I reply, making Avery stick his tongue out at his friend.

"HA!" Avery demands.

Abby sighs, slamming her books down beside Avery. She lets out a loud groan. "I'm DOOMED!!!" She wails.

The boys stare at her in question.

"How so may I ask?" Rosier asks finally, his brown eyes looking at her weirdly. Abby groans, banging her head on the table.

"I'm going to FAIL!!"

"You aren't going to fail, Abby. You haven't even opened a textbook since the beginning of the term. Try studying." I quip back at my friend, making her shoot me a glare.

"Says YOU!!" She scowls, and I huff offended.

"I study hard for my grades. Thank you very much." I raise a brow at her, watching as Myrtle slumps in the seat beside me, Greta to her side.