Chapter TwentySeven

NOT EDITED

Chapter 27

Nicolai Firenze

“Brother,” Jake captured me into a tight hug as my hands fell limp against my sides. “What’s wrong?” he frowned at my dejected expression.

“I sensed her there, Jake… She seemed so close… She was there, damn it! And I didn’t get to her on time,” feeling the anger course through my body, I pulled away and clenched my fists tightly. Now is not the right time to lose control and shift or to think about her.

“Who is she?” Jake’s questioning eyes bored through me. “You didn’t tell me that you have a…”

“Had,” I corrected, before telling him the tale of my first and last encounter with my mate. My perfect little human mate.

“You can’t be sure about that, Nick. You’re pretty sure that she’s human, so she couldn’t have been there. We all know that Baine is ruthless, but he’s not stupid enough to bring humans into this. He’d know better than that,” Jake patted my shoulder comfortingly before walking back inside.

“Sir, Alpha and Luna are on their way…” A patrol wolf announced before heading back into the forest.

At the thought of Arabella and Rylan, my chest began to ache as if someone had been stomping on it over and over. I shook my head, feeling a bit disoriented and angry.

Where am I heading? Shredded fabric fell to the floor as my paws dug onto the ground deeply. Why was fate so cruel to me? Tears blinded my eyes as I ran to no particular place. Why did I feel like this at the mention of Arabella and Rylan together?

I stopped running, feeling a surge of confusion and sadness fill me. It can’t be… I can’t be…

Mate…?’ My wolf whimpered sadly, taking in the all too familiar scent of hers.

“No. It’s just you and me, buddy. Just like how it’s always been,” I murmured, setting my head down on the ground. The all too familiar weariness and loneliness consumed me.

Four days later…

“Rise and shine sleeping beauty… Or should I say, beast!” An overly annoying voice screamed at my ears as he bounced around the bed like a damn kid.

“Yeah, wake up sleeping beauty!” Another voice chimed in.

Vibrant, green eyes stared back at me as Jake shoved him away playfully and hugged me tightly. “I’m telling mom!” Little David cried out, glaring at Jake.