~Thirteen~

This chapter is for all my wonderful readers. I love you all 💖

Jade's POV

When I think of the perfect marriage or the perfect love story, I think of my parents. How possible is it for couples to still look at each other with awe and love even after almost 24 years of marriage? I mean how many new couples these days even call themselves endearments like sweetheart, honey, Darling, and Co. I can't keep gushing over my parent's love. I just can't wait to grow up and fall in love but love comes with a lot of responsibilities. Zee will shake her head at our parents and say

'See these old people acting all lovey-dovey oo. May God save my innocent eyes oo.'

And I'll shake my head at her and laugh. It was love, what my parents shared and I believed it. But what birth the other? Is it love or is it Responsibility?

Zee attended the wedding Dad had prohibited her from attending. I knew this because she told me and she swore me to secrecy. I'll do that for Zee I've always done everything for Zee as long as it keeps her happy.

******
'We can switch Uthman with Daniel, that's if you want.'

Hana said not so casually, tucking her hair behind her ear. We were sitting in the cafeteria and it was the next day after we picked our partners and while other students were already finalizing work on their project, Uthman and I have still not said a word to each other.

'Why? You want to work with Uthman?'

'No oo' She said, a little too hurriedly, and then shrugged 'I was thinking about you. I don't know how you guys will be able to work together so I just.........'

She trailed off as she picked her fork and started to eat. I kept looking at her, everything was normal but something seems off about my best friend. I can't place my finger on what's wrong but something is going on. I've noticed that since morning, she has been kind of sullen and quiet all day.

'Are you alright?'

She looked up hurriedly.

'What? Of course, I'm alright. Why are you asking anyway?'

She replied hurriedly and returned to eating.

'Because you look off and you've been too quiet since morning.'

She laughed.

'God! Jade, I'm okay. I'm on my period so I guess it's just mood swings.'

'okay,' I replied to her and went back to eating. I knew she was lying though.

When we were done with eating, we went to see our class teacher about swapping partners but she turned us out before we could even say anything.

'So, how are you guys going to go about working together?'

Hana asked when we got to class. The next period was English Language and our teacher was yet to arrive.

I shrugged

'We'll see. I guess we have to put our differences apart for once and do something creative for the first and very last time.'

Hana laughed.

'And how are you guys going to do that?'

I shrugged again and I was about to answer when Uthman and Daniel walked inside. Daniel said something to Uthman and came over to Hana.

'Hana, I wrote down my points for the project, you can write yours too and we'll compare them.'

He said, handling a torn-out note to Hana. She collected the note from him without a word and he returned to his seat. The whole exchange was bizarre and off but whatever it is that's off about it, I just can't place my fingers on it. Maybe it's just really awkwardness, Best friends of Arch Rivals working together but what are we, the rivals supposed to do now?