Chapter Twenty-Nine: Leaving?

For the sixth time, someone knocked on the door. I sighed and shook my head slightly in disbelief. “Come in.”

            Not to my surprise, Lillian – Mom – stepped in, an apologetic smile on her face. “I’m sorry for barging in again, Melanie. But I have to talk to you. It’s something important.”

            I nodded, trying to hide my confusion. “Okay.”

            Mom walked to the chair beside my bed and sat on it.

            It’s the next day since I’ve been rescued by Garret and the others. Philip got out in time before Fiona could even think about what happened upstairs. When Garret deposited me in the hospital, my parents were so overjoyed to see me that I haven’t talked to Garret ever since I arrived at my parent’s home. Well, I guess it’s my house now since I’m their daughter… But it will take some time to get used to it.

            “So, Melanie,” Mom began. “Your dad and I talked about this last night. We decided that we’re going to start a new life… in London. Alexander has a lot of friends there – the duke of the Vampire World lives there and he owns a school.”

            I stared at her blankly. “So you’re saying that we’re going to live Springfield? Just like that?”

            “Honey, Fiona is on the loose,” she explained. “She’s a powerful and persuasive woman. She could gather up an army and take us all down. But we’re not going down without a fight. That’s why I decided to take you away from here. London is far enough. Besides, we could start a new life there.”

            “But what about your duties as queen?”

            “I appointed Xayranne and Flynn to take care of the matters here for the meantime,” she replied. “Everything is under control, Melanie. You can finish your fourth year in high school in London. You can even go to college there.”

            “Are we ever going back?” I asked quietly.

            Mom sighed and touched my cheek. “Of course we are. But after this is all over. The sooner we could leave the better.” She paused. “Well, we need to attend Xayranne and Flynn’s wedding. After the wedding, we could all go.”

            “Just like that? What about me and Garret?”

            Mom’s eyes flashed. “Melanie, listen to me. Forget about Garret. Do you understand? He’s nothing but trouble. He’s the reason why you’re in this trouble. If it wasn’t for him thinking to kidnap you seventeen years ago, then we could have been together.”

            “But I love him,” I insisted.

            “I don’t care,” my mom snapped. I flinched; I never heard her snap to me before. “Just leave him. Break up with him if you must. He’s trouble and I don’t want you for him. What if he’s really on his mom’s side?”