16 ➳ Rich People

RUNNING

FOR  MILES

Big heavy looking storm clouds seemed to hang over the calm lake; I was sitting down on the small dock, where Lakyn and I had our strange encounter only a mere few weeks ago. My legs dangled in the cold water as my mind raced with the thoughts of my mother.

Ever since we had the physical education class today that gave us a lecture about drug usage, I haven't been able to get the faint memory of my mother out of my mind.

I can just picture her pale, boney body sitting on the side of the road or near a gas station begging people for money or trying to bribe them to do a certain activity for some small amount of cash that she would end up using it on heroin or crack which ever she has enough for can get her filthy hands on.

Storms never scared me as a child, I wasn't like other children that thought the loud noise in the sky was an angry giant that's stomping around because something bad happened in his life.

I found the loud bangs and the soothing sound of rain falling to be really calming. It would take my mind off of how much I wanted my dad and brother, how much I wanted my parents to be together again and how badly I just wanted my life to be normal.

"Guess who?" A voice said as a pair of warm hands covered my eyes.

"What the fuck." I cursed under my breath, as I didn't expect someone to scare the crap out of me like that.

"That's not a name." The male voice chuckled,

I knew who it was but I just couldn't but my finger on exactly who it was.

"Lakyn?" I guessed.

"No what the fuck?" the voice said as the hands were removed from my eyes.

I looked up and standing right in front of me was None other than the heartthrob of Dayton Academy, Miles Hale.

"Why the hell would he be here?" Hale snapped as he sat down in front of me.

He has a point, why of all people did I think it was Lakyn? All because we had a weird encounter here a few weeks ago doesn't mean that it's going to be him again.

"Um I don't know, you guys sound the same." I said as I didn't make eye contact with him as I knew it was a complete lie, Hale and Lakyn don't sound anything alike.

"I don't sound anything like him." Hale whined.

"Fine can we agree to disagree?" I asked as he nodded his head, "Now why are you disturbing my peace?" I asked as a soft thunder rumble was heard in the distance.

"Oh I saw you from my house which is just over there." Hale turned and pointed across the lake where a huge, white two-story mansion was placed.

The house, well more like castle was way bigger than my house. The house itself was breath taking, the white bricks against the black outlines of the windows and the black roof really made it look like it was ripped out of some sort of rich people's magazine. The long rectangular windows and large doors managed to make the house look really open and airy yet the surrounding perfectly manicured hedges and gardens that surrounded the luxurious estate managed to make it look protected and guarded.

"It's huge." I breathed.

"Just a little." Hale laughed, "Anyway as I was saying I saw you sitting down here and I was going to see if you would like to have dinner at my house tonight." He offered a big smile.

Did I just imagine the words that managed to leave his mouth or did Miles Hale really just ask me to have dinner at his house tonight?

"I um, I can't." I lied.