Strawberries

Chapter summary:

"You could have killed her!"

"I didn't know!"

"I have to calm down, why don't you stay with her while I go for a walk?"

"No, I'll go. After all, she's your wife."

Or, Pepper has a birthday, Tony gets mad and Peter gets lost.

<><><><><><>

"Just bring him home, please," Tony said on the phone before he hung up and took a deep breath. He couldn't believe how much he screwed up. He took another deep breath before returning to the room, where he was surprised by two green eyes staring at him.

At least one good news of the day.

"Tony," Pepper croaked, and Tony walked over to the bed and sat carefully on the edge.

"Hi, Pep," he said with a small smile and grabbed her hand.

"What... What happened?" she asked, confused.

"You've had a very strong allergic reaction," he explained.  "Which reminds me, Friday please inform Bruce that Pepper is awake."

"Already done, boss."

"But I don't remember eating strawberries."

"They were in the cake Peter bought you for your birthday."

"Oh, that's right. He brought a cake to my office after school because he knew how much work I was doing and that I would be home late in the evening," she said sadly. She knew she was busy, but the sooner she finished everything, the sooner it would return as it was before summer.

"Yeah, that was it," Tony sighed, and Pepper looked around the room. Something seemed strange to her.

"Tony, where's Peter?" she asked, frowning slightly, and he swallowed hard.

"He went for a walk."

"He went for a walk? How long ago was that? It's already dark outside!"

"That was three hours ago," he murmured. He knew he had to tell her, but how do you say something like that to your wife?

"Where is he now?" she asked with a small panic in her voice.

"I don't know. His phone is off," he admitted.

"What happened?" she asked because she knew her two boys well enough to know that this incident could not have been without extra problems.

"I screwed up. I was so scared, I didn't know what I was saying. I didn't know how much I was hurting him until it was too late. Then there was the moment he took steps back from me, and I realized I was him. I'm like my father."

"Tony, no! I'm sure that whatever happened between you two, we'll fix it."

"Some things can't be fixed, Pep. You didn't see him. I think he hates me."

"Stop it. You're not Howard and Peter definitely doesn't hate you," she said in a firm voice, and before Tony could protest, the door opened and Bruce entered.

"Nice to see you back with us. I have to say you scared us for a moment there," he said with a small smile and Tony gave him a place so he could check on Pepper.

 I have to say you scared us for a moment there," he said with a small smile and Tony gave him a place so he could check on Pepper