08.

TO THE HILT
PART ONE
CHAPTER EIGHT

A TRAY OF FOOD WAS SLID THROUGH A FLAP IN THE DURASTEEL DOOR

A TRAY OF FOOD WAS SLID THROUGH A FLAP IN THE DURASTEEL DOOR. Leora looked at it in disgust, it was all mush, indistinguishable. But she needed to keep up her strength and so she picked up the fork and dug in. "Eat up, Senator." The robotic voice of a droid taunted as the flap closed.

Leora judged his ignorance. She could've blasted him but knew better.

"Leora?" She heard, muffled, but there.

"Michael?" Leora yelled back. "Are you quite all right? I assume that bump on your head has grown tenfold by now."

"You'd assume correctly," Michael groaned. "Where are you? Are you all right?"

"I'm fine as one can be locked in a cell," Leora assured him. "I'm just down from you! I was worried you hadn't woken up. I must say I'm relieved to hear your voice for once."

He was quiet for a moment. "Have you tried breaking out?"

Leora rolled her eyes. Of course his first thought after being knocked out for resisting capture was to break out of said capturing. Sure, she was twenty two to his twenty four but Leora had let each year wise her. Michael just let them pass. "No. I called for back up. I couldn't break out with you unconscious, could I?"

"I suppose not!" He said in reply. "Should we try now?"

Leora thought about it. "Do you have your blaster?"

He went silent again. Leora pictured him in his tiny cell, patting his waist, then his pockets. "No, it's left on the ship."

"Then how do you purpose this jailbreak, hmm?"

Michael had nothing to say to her quip. She sat back on her cot and focused on the door. It was thick and not a simple mechanism, not simply a lock-and-key hinged door, which would be easily manipulated. This door had many parts that would have to move in unison at different points. But with enough effort, she might be able to figure it out.

Through her will, the door rattled on its secure hinges, sliding ever so slightly before startling back into place. Leora sighed. There were pieces she hadn't aligned.

"Did that work?" Michael hollered in response to the noise.

"No," she said back in frustration. "It did not work! You'd know if it did because you'd be in the midst of being freed."

"I was simply asking, Leora—"

A sizzling captured her attention mere seconds later. A blue light shone through the grey metal, leaving a glowing red ring around the scorched durasteel. Leora leaned further into the wall on instinct.

The formatted circle soon fell inward in the cell, revealing Leora freedom and a redheaded Jedi. "That was quite the banter you two had going. I almost hesitated in freeing you to see how long it would go," Obi Wan greeted with her with wit.