sorry (requested)

You looked around the crowded room for Hailee. You arrived a bit late for the party one of her friends is throwing, but you and Hailee had plans to meet up.

You texted her but she didn't reply. You walked up the stairs and what you saw when you turned the corner made you wish you hadn't walked up there.

There stood your girlfriend kissing another girl. You stood there in shock, a hand covering your mouth as you started to cry.

Hailee pulled away from the girl and saw you, her eyes soft and apologetic when she saw you. "Y/n! Wait!" She called out as she started to chase after you when you ran down the stairs. "Please just let me explain!" She begged but before she could, you got in your car and drove away.

You drove home and managed to gather a few things before you ended up driving an hour or so to visit one of your friends. And after that night, you didn't turn back.

You moved to London. It was a place to start over; one that held new beginnings and a fresh start. You got yourself a nice little apartment and started working at a little restaurant down the street from you.

You told yourself this was where you wanted to be for the rest of your life. But as time went on you started to get lonely. Despite making new friends with coworkers and people in your building. But it never compared to LA and your friends and family there.

And just after seven months in London, you moved back to LA. You got a place close to a new job, one that also provided you a fresh start. It was nice being back with your friends and family. But, thankfully, you never bumped into Hailee.

Or, at least, you didn't for a couple of weeks.

You sipped on your coffee as somebody else by The 1975 played through your earbuds. You hummed along, not really paying the best attention to your surroundings.

You bumped into someone. Before you lifted your head to find out who it was you muttered apology after apology to them. But you wanted to take them all back when you heard a familiar voice. "Y/n?"

It felt like your heart had stopped. There, right in front of you, stood Hailee. She had a small smile on her face but it faded when you turned around and tried to walk away. "Y/n? Please wait. Please don't go."

You could hear the sorrow and pain in her voice. You turned back and she slowly walked over to where you stood on the sidewalk. "Can we talk?" You bit your lip and let out a sad sigh. "I-I don't know, Hailee."

You wanted to say no but the look in her sad brown eyes was one you couldn't resist. "Okay. Fine." You turned back and started to walk again. The wind blew your hair around and Hailee couldn't stop herself from staring at you and admiring just how beautiful you look.

"So... how have you been?" you asked her only for her to shake your head. "No small talk, please. I wanna talk about that night." You didn't wanna visit this topic or dig up the past, but you knew she was adamant about this and you did wanna get the tension off the table.

"I swear it wasn't what it looked like." You couldn't help but scoff. It was cheesy and Hailee knew it. But it was the truth and she needed you to know that. "Y/n, I swear it. I would never hurt you and definitely not like that. I love you way too much to ever do that."

Love. It still rolls off her tongue so naturally.

"She kissed me. I tried to push her away but I couldn't seem to. I'm so sorry, I still think about it every day. I wonder what would've happened if we would've gone out to dinner or stayed home that night. Where we'd be now..." She trailed off and blinked away the tears that threatened to fall.

"I believe you." You said and Hailee looked at you with a glimmer of hope in her beautiful eyes. "You do?" You nodded. "Yeah." You smiled and continued walking with her, both of you putting that awful memory behind you and replacing it with laughter and jokes for the remainder of the day.

The next couple of days passed by pretty quickly. You spent them working and spending your free time with Hailee. It was nice to be able to spend time with her again. It's like you never left. Like you never broke up.

She became your best friend all over again. But, within those three days, you felt like you'd found all you had been searching for. It felt like your heart is home again when you're with Hailee.

And, somehow, you gained the courage to tell her that you miss her.

You knocked on the door of her house, the one you shared so many months ago. She opened the door and smiled when she saw you. You didn't even have to ask, she stepped aside and when you walked in she put her hand on the small of your back and rubbed it up and down for a second. It made you grin and your heart feel warm.

"Hailee? Can we talk about something?" She patted the spot on the couch next to her and you sat down right away. "Is there something on your mind?" She could still read you like a book. She knows your emotions, able to instinctively sense them after getting to spend almost every day with you for almost a year.

"Yeah..." You let out a heavy and shaky breath. Hailee put her hand on your shoulder, giving it a little squeeze to remind you that even after all you've gone through together, she's still never gonna be one to judge you.

"I miss you." You said, feeling a little nervous about how she'd react. "I know that we've had a couple of rough patches before but I miss you so much and spending time with you these past few days has really made me realize how different and plain everything feels without you by my side."

You watch a smile tug at her lips. "You miss me?" Your breath hitched in your throat when she leaned forward and captured your lips with hers. "Good. 'Cause I miss you too." She said against your lips when she pulled away only to kiss you again a second later.