Songbird

Genre: fluff

Soft singing echoed throughout the apartment Google shared with you. His footsteps were quiet as he rounded the corner and emerged into the living room. Google was curious to find where the singing was coming from, but all it took was a glance past the couch and breakfast bar to the walk-in kitchen just across the room. There you stood in all your beautiful glory, the only thing on your body being his blue shirt and your underwear. Google leaned against the threshold to listen to you singing, too shy to interrupt just yet.

Ever since Google met you a few years back something in him flipped and he couldn't get enough of you. His emotions were a broader spectrum, and sometimes he thought about your needs before his own. Google came pretty far with the whole empathy thing, but he couldn't have done it if you had no desire to stay with him. Your kindness rubbed off on Google, and sometimes there were domestic moments that made him proud to say he could let his goal to destroy humanity be pushed aside.

You spun on your heel and gasped, almost dropping the bowl of batter in your hands once you spotted Google. “How long have you been standing there?” You asked quickly as Google crossed the room to reach your side. To distract yourself from the embarrassment of being walked in on, you focused on mixing pancake batter and avoiding Google’s intense eye contact. His bare chest was an interesting sight you had yet to get used to. Even if you and Google were together for years, seeing him every morning always took your breath away. Knowing what he was took a while for you to process, but weird was an everyday thing that you didn't mind.

“A few moments,” Google finally replied. His hands settled on your hips and he rested his chin on your shoulder, watching you cook even if you had to look at the directions on the box. Google’s bare chest was warm against your back, and feeling him so close against you made your cheeks burn even hotter. “You should sing more often,” Google told you. There was a hint of a smile in his voice that had you abandoning the pancake batter to face him.

You wrapped your arms around Google’s neck, cheeks still hot because your boyfriend finally figured out your secret. In the two years you were a thing, not once had you allowed him to be close enough to hear your singing. Whether or not you were ashamed of it was unbeknownst to Google; you were perfect at it. Google thought he should tell you how happy it made him to hear you sing, but decided against it when you kissed the corner of his mouth.

“I’ll sing more,” you confirmed. Google kissed your lips before resting his forehead against yours, a smile on his face that was as rare as your singing. Without thinking, you reached both hands up to hold Google’s face and your thumbs traced the dimples in his cheeks. “You need to smile more often,” you whispered. Google’s eyes watched your lips move, and then he shut his eyes to enjoy the feeling of being in your arms. The apartment was silent save for your breathing, but Google enjoyed moments of calm when you were the one he could share the peace with.

Google hugged you tightly, your arms falling to his chest to spare them from being stuck at an awkward angle. “I’ve got you. That’s all I really need,” Google commented. You rested your head against his shoulder, unaware of his cold temperature and unmoving chest. All Google needed was you in his life, and after you there would be nobody else. You and your singing were all Google ever desired.

640 words