Chapter 41

ADITI

*Flashback*

THREE YEARS AGO,

Singhania House

I have been cutting vegetables for dinner for the past hour. I wish I can make things better between Kabir and his father. I wonder how happy he would be when everything will be just fine. "Aditi....Um....Madam is asking for you" I hear Neena behind me. Turning around I see her standing nervously.

"Is everything fine?" I walk towards her after wiping my hands. She just nods and walks out of the kitchen. I follow her and somehow feel of bad forebodings. Suddenly she stops and let me pass through a wooden door. Entering the room I see the same lady who had once come to the kitchen sitting on a sofa. The moment she looks up at me the door I had just entered through shuts with a loud sound and I my hands become sweaty.

Why would she call me all alone to meet her alone? Does she know the truth? Then why isn't Kabir here too?

"Aditi." I am taken aback. She knows my name! Nervously I look at her face and soon realise that she knows all the truth.

"Nervous? I know much more than that." She looks at me with hatred in her eyes.

"Show me your face."

Revealing my face I stand before her. What does this lady want from me? What grudge does she bare against me?

She looks at me for a moment and then with a smirk she continues, "Pretty face. That'd the reason you succeeded to seduce my Kabir."

Immediately I frown. What the hell is this lady speaking off?

"Aunty.... I think you......"I try to stay calm after all she his Kabir's Grandmother.

Suddenly she stands up and with a few papers in her hand she stands in front of me. "Remember, you call me 'Madam'. I don't like wasting time so the point is; Leave Kabir."

Her words fell like thunder in my ears. Leave? What does she mean by that? But the sudden thought of it hurts? No I can't let this happen. I can't leave him. I love him and I want him to know that.

"N...No." I immediately respond.

"Well I thought so. But think about your Hope Children Orphanage."

That is my orphanage. It is where I grew up.

"What do you mean...." Something chocks me.

"Look for your self." Saying so she hands me some legal papers. Looking at the paper I feel I can't hold on anymore. My vision gets blur as tears weld up in my eyes. The woman walks past me and continues, "You are not worth my Kabir. The filthy orphanage is mine now. If you want the children to have any shelter you better leave Kabir forever or else I will demolish the orphanage."

Tears endlessly fall down my cheeks and I drop on the floor. I could only hear my cries in the entire room. "Why?" I could only utter this word.

"To tell you the truth, I am tired of men in my family going after worthless women. First Harsh and now Kabir. I want him to be with a girl having a decent background after all he is the heir of our family."

I knew that I did not belong to his world but I had never expected anyone to tell the truth to me so bluntly.

"It's better for you because he just fancies you. He does not love you and one day he will leave you just like other girls."

May be she is right but it still hurts so much to hear this. What if this is not the case? What if he likes me too? But I have no idea about his feelings. I don't want to leave him. It will break his heart but; my orphanage. Children there? What about them?

"Just leave tonight. I have arranged everything and never return. Don't ever try to contact him."

Collecting myself once again, I get up to my full length. Wiping my tears I drop the papers on the table before me and turn around. Passing the lady towards the door I stand before opening the door. My back faces her and my voice shakes nevertheless I speak out my mind, "I will leave just keep...your promise."

"Be assured." I can sense that she might be smiling while saying that.

"Do you really think... you are doing well for Kabir by letting his heart break?" I did not wait for any reply nor did I turn back to see her expression. Walking out of the room I made up my mind for the consequences. I can't let the children lose their home. It's my pay back to them for giving me this life.

In the kitchen Neena apologises to me because she was forced to tell the truth. She hugs me and cries out of guilt but I make sure not even a drop of tear falls out of my eyes. I have to be ruthless if I have to leave Kabir.

I make kheer for Kabir and even carry an extra bowl for him secretly. I just hope before going I can patch him up with his father then I will be rest assured that he has family back .

"Never hurt the one you love." That's all I can tell him. Ironically I am going to hurt the one person I love the most in the world. I could clearly sense his excitement when he asked whether I would come to college the next day or not.

When Kabir left me at the house it felt as if someone had detached me from my life. Back in my room there laid a ticket to New York and my acceptance letter to a university to complete my MBA. Just a picture of me and Kabir left on the pillar I cried while I packed. More than the pain I was feeling I was scared what would Kabir go through when he finds out. As per instructions I wrote a letter to Kabir and handed it over to Aunt Rose who had returned late night. Holding a bunch of cash in my hand I felt as a dead soul wandering in the world.

Every moment spent with all my friends and Kabir filled my mind. I have already taken the decision now there is no going back. There was a time I used to mock the love stories for their separation of the hero and heroine. In movies and books it seemed to me that they just exaggerated the concept of 'pain of separation when in love' but I was entirely wrong. It was way much tougher for me to endure losing the loved once.

When in the flight to New York I wondered what everyone else would be doing. There was only one regret, that I could not tell Kabir that..... I love him. I could not tell him thank you. Thank you for being the important person in my life. Thank you for caring so much for me.

I felt guilty to do such evil deed but more than guilt I had hatred in my heart. I hated myself for doing this to Kabir. I don't blame his Grandmother anymore, maybe we were never meant to be together. I just hope her attempts does not Kabir lose himself.

I wish I could have given Kabir the love he deserved. I wish I could turn clock back and somehow change things but nothing could be done now. I was going far away from him forever. I wish Kabir was there to wrap me in his warm hug.

Soon tears dried up and I had no more energy to cry. It was time to except the truth. I just wished Kabir a happier life and myself a life where I never forget Kabir.

The flight landed at New York, thousands of miles away from Kabir. I wish somehow by any means I can fill up the gap between us, in land and our hearts.

*Flashback End*