Chapter 5: Dakota Knight

I stand in front of my closet, completely unsure of what I want to wear. On a normal day of work, I wouldn't put in too much effort but enough to look like I care. But this time around, the morning routine is different. Now everything else is going to be off, but it's too late to think about that now. 

I have to remind myself that it's just lunch. It's lunch with an old friend that is somehow way hotter than I remember. I was so shocked by his sudden appearance last night that I didn't even get the chance to soak in his new physique. 

Only when I had taken off my shoes in my apartment could I process the feeling of his abs under my fingers while I rode on the back of his motorcycle. I could see the tattoos peeking out from under his sleeves, each design on his fingers a work of pure art. I'm sure he's covered in way more too.

If only I could have seen all of them. No, Dakota. Stop that now. He certainly doesn't need that in his life. There's too much history there.

It wasn't like he was ripped either. He still had some body fat on him to be comfortable enough to cuddle, if that were to ever happen. Except that it's not and I should stop thinking about cuddling him because that part of my life is far gone. 

I have never sworn off love or having a romantic and intimate relationship. I think I still need to keep my options for anyone that may stumble into my life, but I'm not entirely sure or dependent on finding 'the one.' 

If I end up loving someone and wanting to spend the rest of my life with them, that's great, and I'm not going to avoid that. 

However, I'm going to be daunted and haunted by the fact that I may spend the rest of my life alone. Antonio, as someone who knows my past, wouldn't be the person to love me. So yeah, we are going out to lunch as friends because that's what people do.

Still feeling conflicted about my outfit choice but knowing I have to get to work soon, I put on a more business casual outfit. I put on a pair of blue jeans, a beige, vertical-striped white top, black casual flats, and hooped silver earrings. 

I glance at myself in the mirror one last time to hype myself up for my day. I think I look cute, like a mom, but cute; I cannot deny it. My blonde hair sits tightly in my classic three-strand braid. 

I purse my lips in the mirror, making sure my lipgloss isn't smudged, and quickly gather any of my other needed items for the day including my purse.

The walk to the library is about ten minutes with me passing by the many shops of all different sorts opening for the day. Besides the coffee shop, that place is open at around five in the morning when I am fast asleep. 

The bell above me rings as I push the door into the library open, and the smell of books instantly fills my nose. That has got to be one of the best smells on the literal planet.

"Good morning, Dakota."

"Good morning, Ms. Whiley."

Ms. Jane Whiley has been in my life for a long time, even when I was a child. And she gave me a place to belong when I came back. My favorite place on earth at that. It's always been nice to have her around as a support system when I didn't feel I had one. 

She is someone I know I can go to, and she's the most chill boss ever. I don't take advantage of it because I'm just not like that, but I have to admit that it wouldn't be too difficult if I were the type of person to do such things.

"Someone stopped by and asked for you, but I told them to come by later today if they needed to."

"Oh? Any idea who they were?"