S E V E N T E E N

800 votes

December 20th

December 20th

"Look at this one." India stood next to the white tree and he shrugged.

"Get it."

"We have to go to the front and say something because they're in boxes in the back. Or order it. Just order it." She leaned into him and smiled. Being around him made her so happy.

"Yeah. You ready to go?"

"Mhm."

He was a little stone face but she knew how he felt about her so it didn't bother her as much as it did before. Sometimes it was annoying to not know exactly what he was thinking or how he might've been feeling but she just had faith that he cared, and that was good enough for her.

'I love you's didn't just habitually fall into their conversation. He said it when it slipped or mixed it into whatever else he was saying, but never just at random. She said it sometimes and instead of responding he'd kiss her, it was his way of saying it back until he got comfortable with it.

"Are you mad at me?" Sometimes she just had to ask, she didn't wanna assume everything was okay and she'd never met anyone so bad at communicating their feelings.

"No but I'm about to get mad, keep asking me that shit. I'm here, if I was mad I wouldn't be."

"Stop cussing at me it was just a question. How am I supposed to know when you look pissed off all day? I just wanted to know.." she mumbled, letting his arm go and looking into her phone.

Jade looked down at her and closed his eyes to gather his attitude. He forgot how sensitive she was sometimes. She'd be like this all day if he let her, not talking or responding to anything, she'd just stare at her phone all day and scroll through Instagram.

"My fault." He said plainly, looking at her expectantly and getting a flat unimpressed look in return.

"Cool."

"Fuck you still mad for I just said sorry?"

"Thats not an apology and I don't even want one because you won't mean it. You just want me to go back to being your lap dog and smile, I don't accept your 'my fault' so leave me alone."

India began putting stuff on the counter when they got to the register with an attitude while he dug out his card.  He saw a transformer toy sitting on the floor by the register and threw it up there.

" Your total is 553.64" the cashier read out slowly, seeing the cart full of toys, ornaments, and wrapping paper.

"Hand it to me." She put her hand out when she saw the chip and swiper not working to do it on credit from her side.

Jade felt her hand brush up against his and stay there for a few moments as she held the card in between her fingers then pulled away, almost feeling India burn a hole into the side of his face.