Prologue

Once upon a time.

It's how so many stories start. Stories with beautiful princesses and handsome princes and happy endings.  There are Daring escapes, sword fights, far away places and cunning villains. True love that breaks all evils and light that pierces all darkness, with the hero and his fair maiden having a happy life forever more.

But so very few stories actually begin or end in such a way. In fact, many of them end in miserably ever after. Such as the stories of Romeo and Juliet, the accounts of the French Revolution, Hamlet, the story of Cleopatra and Mark Anthony, and Wuthering Heights.

Yes, I do realize some of these are fictional, yet tragedy is such a common theme because we all suffer so. Weather it is loosing lovers, homes, families. Tragedy is the common thread of man. No matter who you are. What you've done. What you haven't done. She will find you. She will try to blacken you and harden you. End all happiness you may have.

But I digress.

This is a story that begins with "once upon a rainy morning" and ends with "at the end of a sun soaked afternoon".

It is a story first of all of sorrow and grief. Second of all of romance. Lastly, a tale of two children born to different fathers and different mothers who live a world apart. But do not mistake this for another teenage romance. No. It is quite the opposite.

Should you decide to continue on, dear reader, you shall know my tale. For it is I who is writing this. A tale of grief and romance. A tale of delight and mourning. And should you desire one over the other, I do not believe you should read on.

Dear reader, do not weep for me. For my story has been told. You are about to know it. And you will do my name honor in all that you speak of me. Even now as I place my hand against this page, it meets your touch.

And yet you do not even know my name. You don't know how these words pain me to write them. You don't know about the spring of roses or the summer of tears.

You only know that you have picked up this book. This story. This fantastic tale of woe and love. Something that I pray from this point on only ever remains in stories. Something that I can only hope will be my legacy.

But dear, dear reader. Please do not fear for me.

For I do survive.

~M