Chapter 5: Stars

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."

                                            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Your eyes were soft and gentle as you stared out at the open sea, the salty wind blowing against your face as you leaned against the railing of the ship, mind wandering to other places.

Judging by the empty deck and silence, everyone else on the ship was sleeping, resting themselves for their next day of adventure.

You supposed most people would find the silence a bit torturous and maybe even a little scary, but you didn't mind it, in fact, you relished in it...How unusual it was for you to have a moment of such blissful peace.

Despite your situation, you were actually enjoying yourself. Even if the pirates were simply trying to sell you off and get a good price off of you...That didn't stop you from loving the sound of the waves crashing against the ship or the sound of the wind whistling in the night time.

It was actually beautiful.

The way the lanterns lit up the deck, shining from all the scrubbing Taehyung had done...It seemed like a scene straight out of a romance novel...although you've never read a romance where the protagonist was being sold to a bunch of man-eating sirens or a perverted little boy.

Although you took comfort in the silence, a small part of you hated it.

In the silence, you could think.

And when you thought...Your mind traveled back to all the world you had visited.

It was a blessing and a curse..being able to remember everything...their faces, the sound of their laughter...every little detail..you remembered and it just continued to get harder and harder to move on.

Maybe this world was a blessing...a time when you could avoid getting attached...a time when you could avoid falling in love.

You felt guilty enough as it was...After Yoongi...you just continued to be disloyal...first with Taehyung and now with Jin...Would you betrayal never cease? You wished more than anything that you could have just stayed there..with him and the others...but if you had done that...You never would have fallen in love with Taehyung-The Egyptian Taehyung...or the other version of Jin.

Your mind was a complicated mess...just like your heart and you absolutely hated the fact that you could not make a decision no matter how hard you tried.

Your thoughts were interrupted as a soft humming sound floated to your ears, causing your head to perk up.

You blinked in surprise at the familiar melody, goosebumps forming on every inch of your body as you looked at the waves below you.

Your blue eyes widened as you watched the water beneath the ship begin to glow softly, the turquoise liquid shining with an unnatural light as the humming sound grew louder.

You followed the trail of light, watching as it seemed to follow behind something that swam in the water, the song becoming louder and louder as you chased after whatever was singing to you.

"Hey!"

Your call received no response, causing your expression to fall.

What was happening?

This was the same song you had heard earlier in the day..the song that came from the mirror.

You let out a gasp as you witnessed a large fin emerge from the water, the sound of splashing causing your body to tense up.