Chapter One: Goodbye Old, Hello You

It's been nine months.

Nine months since your death, Beck.

I haven't been the same. I would be lying if I said I was.

All the pain.

"Rot in there, you psychotic asshole!"

All the arguments.

"Are you following me?"

Even all the good times.

"I never... loved someone... the way I loved you."

I still can't get over you, Beck. You're on my mind all the time. When I sleep. When I'm at work.

I don't think I could ever get over you.

"Hello!"

The sound of a loud bang snapped me back into reality. "What?" I asked.

"I would ask if you worked here." A teenage girl said. "But you have a name tag, and you have books in your hand, so that would be stupid."

Bitchy attitude, unnecessary piercings that you would see no adult to this day have. My guess, seventeen?

"Can I help you find anything?" I asked in the most polite sounding way as possible.

"Ann Rittenberg. Your First Novel. Sound familiar?" The young girl asked.

I walked away from the counter, as the girl followed me. "You a writer?"

The girl scoffed. "No way. It's for my sister, she's some wannabe young poet looking for fame in the big city."

If I was this girl's sister... I don't even want to imagine. Never mind.

I took the orange colored book off the shelf. "You're in luck. It's the last copy we have."

The girl snatched it from my hand. "Thanks. Ring me up."

~

The girl pulled out the $19.99 plus tax out of her small, yet noticeably full wallet. "Twenty-five, fifty, seventy-five. Just keep the change." She said, after a few seconds of counting her quarters and dimes.

I smirked. "You have a good day."

She took the book out of my hand, then gave me a curious look. "Why a book store?"

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"You could be anything you want to be here, and yet you choose to be a book store clerk. I mean...-"

"What do you mean?" I question.

"You're hot. And don't take that as an opportunity to try and ask me out or whatever, because I'm underage-"

Didn't even think about it.

"-but you're actually model material. My sister knows this guy who could actually hook you up."

I smiled and shook my head. "Not interested."

She sighed. "Okay, your loss."

Nothing else was said. She took the book and walked out of the store.

"What the hell was that?" Ethan asked, coming from who knows where.