VIII

"Why are we doing this, again?" Leia asked as Jo once again dragged her out of bed early in the morning. There was barely anyone awake on the small Rebel base on Hoth, only those who kept watch over night. Even the cooks were still asleep, meaning Leia couldn't get a cup of coffee to wake her up.

"Han was able to tell us apart because of my marksmanship." Jo told the Princess as she dragged her through the hall. "It took him less than a day to figure out I was the decoy because I knew how to shoot." Jo looked back at Leia as she kept walking. "If Han can figure it out, so can the others."

"He also said it was because you always stepped in front of me and you told him to listen to me." Leia pointed out. "It appears your servitude has finally found a way to work against you."

Jo stopped in front of the training room doors and turned back to Leia with heated cheeks. "If you think for a single second I'm going to push you in front of open fire to protect our cover, you are the most idiotic girl I have ever met-" She told Leia harshly. "And I know you aren't dumb, so the only other solution is to make you the best damn fighter you can be." As she said it, she turned and opened the doors to the training room.

Just beyond the doors was a grand open space. The room was reserved for large meetings, but it could also be used to train new recruits. Jo reserved the room every morning before their daily routine. That way they wouldn't be interrupted by royal or rebel duties and they wouldn't be watched.

Jo stepped into the room first. Years of training in combat and shooting made her feel at peace as she stripped her outer coat to reveal a pair of spandex leggings that clung to her legs and a thin, loose shirt that allowed her to move as she pleased.

"First we're going to work on your aim." Jo told Leia as she walked over to a control panel. Since the room was used to train new recruits, it had a simulation for them to work on their combat.

Jo chose the easiest setting, then picked up a pellet gun that had the same weight and kick of a real blaster.

"Here-" Jo turned to Leia and threw her the gun. Leia caught it but gave a slight gasp as she almost dropped it. "Don't worry," Jo laughed at her friend's expression. "It's not real."

"Why wouldn't you tell me that before you threw it at me!?" Leia's cheeks reddened in anger, but also a bit of embarrassment.

"Sorry, Princess." Jo used the title as a slight dig. Which Leia seemed to realize as she pointed the gun at Jo and pulled the trigger. "Hey!" Jo screamed as she jumped to the side just as the small round pellet shot past her. "Just because it's not a real blaster doesn't mean they don't hurt!" She warned the girl.

"Oops." Leia said unapologetically. "It slipped." She lied with a smirk.

Jo narrowed her eyes at the girl before she turned and increased the amount of simulated guards. "Fine, let's see what you can do." Jo nodded towards the simulations that filled the giant empty space in the middle of the room.

Leia turned to see several rows of five Storm Troopers. Though she knew they were part of the simulation, she gawked at how real they looked. Every detail was accurate, down to the flexible material around their joints.

"You're stuck on an Imperial ship. You have valuable information on your R-2 unit." Jo gave her a bit of a back story. "You have to kill every storm trooper and keep your R-2 unit safe."

Leia looked back at Jo as she held her pellet gun in her hand.

"Where's R-2?" She asked. Jo lifted her hands to motion towards herself. "You're kidding." Leia spoke dryly.

"Nope. I'm all you got." Jo gave the girl a shrug. "Protect me. I'm helpless." Jo said with a flat voice.

Leia didn't seem to appreciate that as she gave Jo a glare. Still, she turned and raised her gun as she waited for the simulation to start.