Chapter 27: So What Exactly Happened?

McKenna’s Point of View:

A few hours later, night has fallen and Matt and I are in his car on the way to this date. I don’t really know why I agreed to go out with him. Sure he’s hot. Like really hot, but I mean I just don’t wanna date him. Not like exclusively anyway. He won’t tell me where it is that we’re going, but I don’t really even mind. I’m only doing it because I mean, anything’s better than sitting at the O’Connor’s place in Vernon with Ryder there.

I look at the dash clock and the eerie green digits inform me that it’s 10:00. Another thing, I don’t know why he insisted we wait so late. He’s a tad bit strange in case you haven’t noticed. I like him, but only as a friend. If it’s possible for a friend to think that their friends of the opposite gender are exceptionally hot. Which I’m pretty sure it is.

          “Are we almost there?” I wonder.

Matt nods, “Yeah, almost.”

          “Is it like a restaurant?” I prod.

He shakes his head, “Nope. It’s much better than dinner.”

          “So what is it?”

          “It’s a game.”

          “A game?” I repeat.

He nods again, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel. “Yup.”

          “You’re so peculiar.”

          “Hey, I’m not strange. I’m different.” He says, interpreting my use of the word ‘peculiar’.

About ten minutes later, we arrive at a dark place. There are literally no lights anywhere. Well, I take that back. There are lights, they’re just off in the distance and what they’re illuminating, I can’t tell.

          “Where are we?” I wonder, opening the door and getting out of Matt’s car.

          “Come on.” He says, gesturing his head down the…whatever it is… I walk over to his side, pushing my hands down in the pockets of my jeans as we walk. “So I know you actually didn’t wanna come out with me. But I’m glad you did.”

          “I really don’t understand why you like so much, and no I don’t want you to list a bunch of bizarre reasons.”

          “Then, I don’t know how you expect me to respond. You know why I like you, why the confusion?”

I shrug, “Never mind. Let’s just not talk about it.”

So we continue to walk, Matt standing beside me - towering over me, and somewhere in the distance I hear some crickets. I hate crickets and I especially  hate that stupid chirp thing they make. It’s so annoying. They are on my list of most annoying insects. Number 1? Flies. I shudder involuntarily and that seems to get Matt’s attention.

          “You okay?”

I nod, “Yeah, I’m fine. Just thinking.”

          “About Ryder I assume.”

          “Not exactly.”

          “No?”

          “I was thinking about how much I hate flies and crickets.” I explain.

          “Oh, well that’s…something.”