Chapter 34: Shadow of Naginata Blades

"Oishi!" Yun Ren Xie exclaimed once the food is served. She cant believe Saito have this talent even though she's the creator. "Thanks for the meal!" she said in closed eyes while her hands were clasped.

Oishi means delicious in Japanese

Saito watched his sister gobble up the food he prepared, it actually made his heart a bit happy since his sister liked what he prepared, it was rare for him to cook for somebody else.

"Brother, what are you doing? You prepared this food and you dont eat? Its bad for your health if you skip meals!" Yun Ren Xie said and scooped a bowl of udon for Saito. In Soma's memory, she love to take care of her brothers and look out for them even though she's the youngest.

He did not say anything and smiled at his sister, its been so long ever since he have paid a visit in his home. Soma's been talkative so Yun Ren Xie have to keep her facade and started to speak about how she was practicing the use of naginata Saito have given her.

"Brother, can I ask for more of these?" she pointed at the almost finished meal on her plate.

"So you also like tonkatsu."

"Mm! But I like all of brother's dishes!" she coaxed like a kid.

The sun have settled and Ishi have found where her young miss is. Saito have left this noon for patrolling around Kyoto and Ishi have cooked for Soma.

Kaozue and Saito are patrolling together with the other unit captains tonight. It is also today where Saito and Kaozue will have a spar until the fifth day, it was Kaozue who wants to fight him but both always won a draw. Yun Ren Xie knew the first spar tonight will make Saito full of bruises on his face.

She worriedly stayed awake for the whole night while she ordered Ishi to sleep on the other room. Yun Ren Xie sat outside the wooden floor, the bright moon made the sight of the yard amusing and she cant help but picture it in her mind.

A while later, she saw a person walking at her direction. She stood up and rushed at the silhouette outside the yard, expecting it was her brother Saito Hajime.

Without a word, she held the man's face and asked questions. "Brother! Are you hurt? Did you fought someone? I just dreamt you were injured! Brother, I am so worried!" she said, not clearly knowing the man is not her brother. His face is smooth and no bruise can be felt, Saito did not fight today?

"Soma. Who's that man?" a familiar cold voice rang Yun Ren Xie's ears. She freezed from her spot, that was Saito! Then..... who is the man she was currently holding?

"Em, its me. Souji."

Yun Ren Xie quickly retrieved her hand, the misty cloud have finally left and by the help of the moonlight, she saw Souji standing in front of her with an awkward smile.

Looking behind Souji, there he is, Saito Hajime. He was leaning beside a street lamp while crossing his arms, looking at Souji with a glare. At the corner of his lip, there is a visible bruise, even his cheek and also his head which is bleeding a bit. Yun Ren Xie cant help but curse, she cant believe this is how the first spar between Kaozue and Saito went!

She collected herself and acted childish, her eyes turned watery while biting her lower lip as she ran to Saito. "Brother!" she acted out, crying all of her heart while standing closely in front of Saito. She was crying not because of Saito's current look but she was crying for her own life. Souji never liked being touched that intimately while Saito is overprotective to his sister!

"Eh? So Third Unit Captain Hajime is home thirty minutes late. Its already midnight." Souji held his chin, he was smirking. Who could have given this disrespectful Saito a good beating? Might as well reward that person who planted bruises on Saito!

Saito kept quiet, his lips were tightly pressed as he looked at Soma with a gentle gaze. He is really impudent for not listening to a person who is older than him.

"Soma, let's go inside." he returned his indiffrent look while walking at his yard, of course, you can almost see how irritated he feels only if you can spot the slight crunching of his eyebrows in a very close look. Although, Souji and him have been close, he just hated it when someone is in his 'own' yard, add on the fact that Souji and Soma are looking intimate in front of him! How dare this friend of him seduce his younger sister!

"You too, come inside." Saito looked at Souji with a frigid gaze.

Souji have been used by this indiffrent side of Saito, thus, he only smiled and followed him. He glanced at Soma who is behind them and surprised to see her with an algid look but once he blinked, Soma is wearing the pitiful face again. "Brother!" she shouted and rushed at Saito.

The three of them went inside the living room while Ishi woke up to serve them a hot tea except for Yun Ren Xie who needs to drink milk to keep the act up as Soma Katsu.

"Vice Comander Hijikita Toushirou wanted to ask, how did that family this noon got cared of? Also, he heard that a maiden saved the assassin." Souji said then glanced at the silent Soma who is sleeping on a chair on the corner. "Soma, she is an unparalleled flower bud that is blooming, maybe Oni no Fukucho will-"

Pah!

Saito just slapped the table, his dark eyes were glowing under the flickering candle light. He glanced at his sister who just woke up from the sound, he saw how terrified she look like.

"Leave." Saito just said, his voice is full of threat.

Souji just stared at him, his lips were tugged upward while his cyan blue eyes were brimming with challenge. Yun Ren Xie who was quiet in the corner felt how oppressive the male leads were showing off. What just happened?

"Brother, your wounds needs to get dressed." she said as to break off the seriousness of the males.

Souji stood up and before he left, he said his last sentence before leaving Saito's yard. "If the higher ups from the Bakufu heard about this, its either they let it go or found that person a traitor."

"Traitor?" Yun Ren Xie tilted her head. She felt itchy to know what have they been talking about when she dozed off.

However, Saito did not answer and clenched his fist. "Soma, clean brother's wounds." he said but Yun Ren Xie cant read his thoughts, she was shock to see his eyes were in daze. What could make Saito this flustered?

Nevertheless, she made Ishi find herbs and bandages for Saito's wounds. After a while, Yun Ren Xie is only making the final step to bandage the severe wound located on Saito's head.

"Brother, who did this? Why did you fight?"

Saito kept quiet and when his sister is done bandaging his head, Soma sat beside him. "Beat him badly tomorrow, brother! I dont like the idea of someone bullying you!"

"Sleep, brother will beat that person badly by tomorrow morning." he smiled gently, Yun Ren Xie cant help but stare at Saito Hajime. He is way too beautiful! "Something the matter?"

"A-ah! Nothing!" she quickly waved her hands and left the living room. Just why did she stare at Saito? Is Zhao Huang Cai still not enough for her?

*Oni no Fukucho means Vice Demon Comander so Souji is basically referring to Hijikita Toushirou's other name

*Bakufu is a military government that ended in 1869