Chapter 11

"Olivia."

Hot breath tickled the back of my neck and I stumbled, hands flying forward to grasp the banister of the stairs. Slowly, I turned to face Willow, who watched me with unusually dark, scrutinizing eyes. I noticed the absence of her uniform, and her brown hair which was usually pinned away from her face fell freely down her back.

"I just wanted to inform you that Anabelle was imprisoned this evening."

The rapid pace of my heartbeat only increased at the mention of her name. I straightened, facing the guard fully. Her usual blank, empty expression was gone, and in its place was concern.

"For slapping me?"

Willow nodded her head in confirmation. "She will be imprisoned for two days and will be returning back to her home immediately after her time is served."

She searched my face, and frowned, perhaps at my lack of emotion towards her words.

"Where is the prison located?" I asked, eyes flickering to the chandelier above, body untensing as I attempted to appear as nonchalant as possible.

"It's outside of the nearby cluster of homes, a bit in the southern area," She looked me over, visibly becoming suspicious. "Why did you ask?"

My fingernails dug painfully into the wooden bannister and I stepped backwards, becoming nervous under her penetrating stare, which soon became a particular gaze which most lycans have when regarding humans like myself; it was almost as if they could see right through my words and knew what I kept secret.

"Curiosity." I bit out when I realized that I had not responded. The long pause which had followed after she asked the question had only grown her suspicion but I refused to show my nerves physically. "Goodnight Willow."

Willow nodded her head, not moving, lips set in a firm line. Swallowing thickly I turned and walked up the stairs, hand trailing along the smooth wood under my palm, back burning from her stare.

"Olivia."

I came to a halt, shoulders stiffening and my eyes widening. I inhaled deeply, back facing her as I spoke. "Yes?"

"I ask that you please refrain from doing anything that could eventually bring harm upon yourself."

A wave of unease travelled through me, but I managed a small smile when I looked over my shoulder to her. "Of course."

Willow nodded again, stepping backwards, disappearing into the shadows below, the soft pitter-patter of her feet letting me know that she was leaving.

I carried on walking up the stairs then, letting myself into the room, staring at the bed which I knew I would not be sleeping in.

I had lied to Willow. What I intended to do in a couple hours time would not only highly put me in harm's way, but perhaps could make me face the wrath of Willow's Alpha.

My eyes lowered to the coat which belonged to him, folded sloppily on the edge of a chair. My stomach fluttered at the sight of it, fingers curling around the sleeves and then dropping it to the bedroom floor. Stepping over it, I sat on that large, wooden chair, eyes becoming fixated on a hanging clock.