105. The Capitol

A GATE GUARDED the entrance to the Capitol, so tall that it kissed the clouds

A GATE GUARDED the entrance to the Capitol, so tall that it kissed the clouds. It was constructed out of the same material as the bridge —a strange, pure white stone that reflected tiny rainbows in the sunlight. Two supporting pillars connected the gate to the bridge and were carved into two ferocious snake-like dragons. Glittering rubies had replaced the dragons' eyes. An ornate lintel connected the pillars. The king's seal was stamped into the center, adorned with even more glimmering jewels. The seal itself was large enough for Ravenna to see, even from her spot near the other side of the bridge. It depicted another coiled, ruby-eyed dragon that was surrounded by an elegant filigree design.

"Oh my," Ravenna breathed, her breath escaping her.

Eoin absorbed her reaction. "It is beautiful, isn't it?" he asked her, his gaze focused on her expression.

She wasn't sure how to respond. It was beautiful —almost too beautiful. The bright sunlight made it hurt to look at. She forced herself to lower her gaze. "Is everything made of this stone?" she murmured.

"Not everything," he chuckled. "The stones that were used to create this bridge are quite rare. It is a mixture of white marble and diamond —created by a wizard that served the Originals, our first three kings. It is the strongest substance in the world and it repels all magic. The walls that surround the Capitol and the castle are the only other buildings that utilize that material."

"It repels magic?" Ravenna repeated. She glanced up at him, concerned. "Aren't we using magic to return later tonight?"

Eoin smiled at her. "Fear not," he assured her and then leaned in closer to whisper in her ear. "You mustn't tell anyone, but the stones no longer repel magic. The spell that was used has expired, and Father has been too lazy to hire a wizard to replace it."

Ravenna crinkled her eyebrows at him. She expected him to reveal that he'd been joking. "Really?"

With a slightly exasperated nod, Eoin sighed. "Very few are privy to that information. Most still believe that we are protected against the use of magic. That belief alone is the only thing that has prevented a magical attack against the Capitol —that and the Blood Knights. The royal council has been begging Father for over two years to repair the spell. Nothing has yet to be done about it."

She stared at the dragons that guarded the Capitol. It was almost too easy.

"I expect a full tour of the city," she told him, quick to change the subject. "I want to see all of your favorite places."

His grin reappeared. He offered his arm. "Would you prefer to walk or shall I summon a palanquin?"

Ravenna squinted at him. "I admit, I am not quite sure what that is."

"Really?" That surprised Eoin. "It is used to transport royalty through the city. They aren't very comfortable —it essentially allows several grown men to carry us through the streets."

"I would prefer to walk," she said, her nose scrunched up.

He chuckled. "So would I. Shall we?"

She nodded. They walked across the bridge, toward the Capitol entrance. Each step that they took closer to the gate caused it to grow taller —taller and taller until it completely blocked the sun. Cool shadows encapsulated them, leeching the heat from their skin.

Crowds of people surrounded them, roaming carelessly in and out of the city. It struck Ravenna as odd. Not a soul was stopped and searched. No one was denied access to the city. Guards stood on either side of the gate's portal, their armor colored a bright white that matched the pillars behind them. However they seemed relaxed. Their swords were sheathed and their helmets were off, revealing happy faces.

"This is unusual," Ravenna muttered under her breath. Some of the smaller cities and towns operated similarly —however they had no real entrance to guard.

Eoin glanced at her, his expression unreadable. "Is it?"

She avoided his gaze. "I've never seen an Imperial guard so...happy and carefree before," she said. It wasn't a complete lie —she only remembered seeing one appear so happy before, and that was a few days ago, when she'd seen that guard with his lover.

"Normally, they are the opposite," she added under her breath.

He frowned at that but didn't question it. Instead, he guided her through the gate, into the depths of the city. 

hello friends!

hello friends!

I hope that everyone has had an awesome week so far! I'm sorry that I haven't been as active. Things have been wild at work since we returned from holiday break. Weekly updates are resuming this week though! Thank you for your continued patience and support!

You all mean the absolute world to me! I appreciate you so much!! I hope that the rest of your week is filled with happiness! ❤

ash ❤