IX

"Just who is part of this small group going with you to Bessmer?" Han asked as he followed Jo to the hangar.

"Why?" She asked without looking back at him. "There's no money involved."

The dig was slight, but it angered Han. "Hey, sister-" Han rounded around Jo and cut her off before she could enter the hangar. "I'm offended you think so lowly of me." He put his hand to his chest. Jo didn't seem to buy it, so he dropped the act and gave her a serious look. "I just want to make sure you're taking competent people with you. Imperial troops aren't a joke."

Jo looked between Han's cool eyes to try and spot any deception, or an oncoming joke. But she didn't spot anything other than concern. Some of her irritation faded. "So you're asking from a place of worry? For me?" She still wasn't convinced as she stepped around Han to get to the hangar.

"Why's that so hard to believe?" Han's voice rose as he swiveled to follow her. Never before has he had to follow someone as often as he did Jo. She was impervious for walking away from him, but no matter how many times she did, he always followed.

Jo let out a snort as a reply. That offended Han even more, but he didn't have time to call her out on it before Jo approached a mechanic and took the offered clipboard.

Han stood by her side as she looked over the specs of the ship she and Leia were planning on taking.

Han took the clipboard from Jo to get a closer look at the power of the transport. "This is the piece of junk you're using?"

"Piece of junk!" Jo gasped as she snatched the clipboard back from Han. She used it to point up to the immaculate gray ship in front of them. It towered over the two, and could easily fit Chewbacca under it with plenty of room so he wouldn't hit his head. "This is one of the last standing ships from the Senator of Organa, this is the ship he used to rescue two dozen Rebel recruits from the depths of Grutivenia." Jo let out a breath as she tried to push past the utter disrespect Han had for the ship.

"It's no Millennium Falcon." Han completely ignored everything Jo just said as he complimented his own ship.

Jo rested her knuckles on her hips as she looked up at him smugly. "Are you volunteering to be the pilot on this mission?" The clipboard dug into her side but she ignored the pain as she waited for Han's refusal. It would be so sweet for her to witness him turning down something so important, especially in front of a stranger.

Han puffed out his chest as he met Jo's challenging gaze. "Maybe I am..."

Jo couldn't hide her surprise, making her lips part ever so slightly as her shoulders sagged.

The look alone was reward enough for Han. "What's there to do here anyways?" Han added. "I can't let you have all the fun."

Jo's eyes lowered to Han's mouth as it pulled back into a smirk.

Han watched her visibly gulp before she lifted her eyes to his.

"Fine." Her voice was clipped. "Be ready in an hour." She slammed the clipboard against his chest before she rushed passed him.

Han looked at the mechanic that had just witnessed everything and gave the young boy a smile. "She's got the hots for me." He told him cockily.

The mechanic didn't say anything, but gave Han an unsure look before he turned and headed for the ship Leia and Jo would no longer be needing.

Han looked down at the clipboard, then realized he didn't need it and toss it to the ground without a care. He turned towards his ship at the other end of the hangar and saw Chewie working on one of the landing gears.  "Gear up Chewie!" Han yelled as he neared his ship. "We've got a mission."