Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Holly’s POV

I found the bathroom with relative ease, walking down the thin corridor before peaking into the room when I thought I had located it. I was correct thankfully.

After closing the door and locking it behind me I leaned against it in relief, running my hands over my face before slumping my entire weight on it. I didn’t realise how much of a relief it would seem when I got away from the tenseness for a few moments.

It was nice.

After doing my business I took my time washing my hands, knowing that the time I had spent in here would most likely seem like a tad longer than appropriate. I didn’t mind, not when it was a welcomed calm atmosphere for a few minutes.

When I finally thought I had no choice but to head back I glanced at my reflection before frowning when I noticed how pale I looked. Had I always looked so…washed out?

Shaking my head, thinking it was probably nothing, I headed back down the small corridor before taking in the scene in front of me as I entered the living room.

What in god’s name had I missed?

There in front of me was Adrian baring his teeth at Liam while Sophie was huddled in the corner behind her mother, acting as if the older woman could protect her if the situation aroused. I knew she didn’t have a chance if Adrian attacked, my mate didn’t get to be Alpha simply due to a birth right that was for sure.

“What’s going on?”

My soft tone seemed to draw Adrian’s immediate attention, his expression softening into what seemed like concern before he held his arms out as a hint for me to go over to him. I didn’t hesitate before I was pulled onto his lap while his nose brushed against the column of my neck.

“I have decided that Liam and Sophie will be spending a day or two at the pack house, hopefully it will teach them respect. If that does not work, I will have to take a more…rough approach.”

I saw the two teens flinch at his tone before they nodded in agreement. I think they were surprised and somewhat shocked to watch how even when his tone was harsh enough to send shivers down a wolf’s spine, that his actions towards my were only soft and gentle. Did they really not know of what a mate consisted of?

“Go get your things” he demanded causing them to rush to obey before he even had to comment further. I turned towards him, raising a brow but only got a shrug in return. What else had he told them?

“You ok?” he asked gently, a huge contrast to his previous tone as he brushed his fingers against my cheek. I nodded. “You sure? You look pale” he continued worriedly.

“I feel fine” I shrugged honestly. “Maybe it’s the weather.”

Only getting a ‘hmm’ in return he pulled me to my feet, the rushed sounds of Sophie and Liam hurriedly collecting their belongings the only disturbance present before Rebecca seemed to gather up her nerves enough to ask my mate a question.

“You will take care of them, won’t you?” she asked as a concerned woman would. Adrian seemed to sense this as well, calming down somewhat.

“They will be under the supervision of my pack mates as well as myself,” he confirmed before bending down to nip at my ear lobe. I shivered, playfully pushing him away much to his amusement as he shot me a grin.

When it came to leaving I thanked Adrian when he held open my door for me. He smiled, but his eyes were focused on the two other teens as they slipped into the back seats after pulling their luggage in the car’s trunk. They hadn’t so much as complained which had me stunned, especially when I compared it to what they had been like the last time I had met them with Adrian. They had been, as Adrian had bluntly put it, brats. But now…they seemed almost eager to please. It was confusing.  

“Put your seatbelts on” he demanded offhandedly as he got into the driver’s seat, both Sophie and Liam both hurriedly doing as they were told.

Where was the previous attitude?

Shaking my head, deciding not to comment on it further, I turned in my seat so I could face my mate. “Can I have the radio on?” I asked, trying to dissolve the still tense atmosphere.

“You don’t have to ask every time, sweetheart” he rolled his eyes with a grin.

I shrugged. “It’s polite” was all I said in return.

“You want to stop somewhere to eat?” he asked a few minutes later, glancing at the clock only to find it was already half twelve. How long were we at Rebecca’s?

Thinking about it I nodded. “If you don’t mind,” I agreed. “Where we going?”

“Uh, there’s a small café on the next right” Adrian spoke aloud, his brows pinched in thought.

It wasn’t long until Adrian was pulling into a parking space, the engine running to a stop before he shut it off.

“Can we get something to eat as well?” Sophie asked surprisingly politely. Seriously, what had Adrian said to them?

When Adrian nodded his consent the two hurried to get out of the car, my hand immediately going to hold onto my mates as he pulled my against his side before dipping his head to kiss my lips. I smiled.

We managed to find a nice corner booth which was out of the way from everyone thankfully, Liam and Sophie sitting on one side while me and Adrian sat on the other. It was when Adrian passed me a menu that I felt his warm hand press against my thigh, my smile only growing as I fingered the laminated menu while I tried to hide my blush.

“What can I get you this afternoon?”

We were broken out of our thoughts when a waitress arrived at our table, my head no longer pressing against the coolness of the window as I moved to glance in her direction. It was fair to say I didn’t like how she was looking at Adrian, but then again I knew he was something to look at.

That didn’t mean I had to like it, because I didn’t.

Adrian looked in my direction before jolting my shoulder lightly to get my attention, my own shoulders shrugging gently as turned my attention back towards the window. I didn’t feel right; it was strange.

Adrian must have gestured for Liam and Sophie to order since I heard them put in their requests of hamburgers and a pasta bake, but I could feel the way my mates eyes burned into the side of my head.

Why did I feel so tired? So…drained?

“What would you like to eat, sweetheart? Do you want something light, soup maybe?” he offered which I did admit sounded good.

“Please,” I nodded before closing my eyes for a moment.

I was surprised that I hadn’t fallen asleep by the time the scent of our food came around, Adrian’s hand still on my thigh and I placed mine over his own as I enlaced our fingers together. It was nice.

It turned out Adrian had ordered me what I guessed to be vegetable soup, something I hadn’t tried before. Then again I had only really eaten full meals, or even decent food, since I had been at Adrian’s. He looked after me, I knew that.

While the teens in front of me scoffed down their food as if they were starving, a feeling I knew they didn’t have a clue how it felt to truly be so hungry that your stomach would spasm in agony, I took my time eating my soup which turned out to be surprisingly good.

“I’ll be back in a few minutes sweetheart; I’m just going to the loo, ok?” Adrian interrupted my mind-daze with his comment.

I nodded, turning my head in his direction before closing my eyes in pleasure when I felt his large hand cup my cheek before he pressed his lips against mine.

A part of me wasn’t surprised when as soon as he had disappeared from sight both Sophie and Liam snapped their heads in my direction. I wanted to shrink away under their piecing gazes but I had long ago learnt how to mask my emotions. I looked at them blankly, my spoon resting on the side of my bowl as I waited for them to comment.

It didn’t take them long.