C H A P T E R F I V E

REINA'S POV

Hanging out down in the landing deck while Mando handled the controls, I forced my eyes closed, attempting to get some sleep before we reached Nevarro to deliver the asset at last. Something frantically was buzzing in my mind though about the whole ordeal. The target was this helpless, innocent child who has this power, according to Mando's witness during the fight against the mudhorn, and it basically adored us, as if we were its parents. I didn't want to start wondering what the Imperialist Client's plans for the baby were...It was against the Guild's Code to ask questions after the bounty is turned in and the reward collected.

"That's not a toy." I heard Mando huffed, and it made me crack a smile. The child was finally awake from its deep slumber. I was beginning to worry. Then, Mando requested my presense. I rose to my feet and climbed the ladder to the cockpit. (I had become very familiar with the setup of the Razor Crest, especially since I assisted in its reconstruction after retrieving the stolen parts from the Jawas.) "You called?" I joked, plopping down in the seat behind his. I placed a hand on the capsule where the baby gave me a toothy grin followed by a soft coo. "Hello, little one. Awake, are you?"

"We're approaching Nevarro." Mando informed me. I gazed out the front shield as the Razor Crest entered the dusty grey planet's atmosphere. In the next hour, this job will be over. Silence took over the cockpit. Not a word was spoken until Mando landed the ship outside the stone arch leading into the bazaar. Mando rose from his seat, prepared to go. I subconsiously gripped his arm before he could pass me. When he turned to me, glaring through the T section of his helmet, I gazed back. "I having second thoughts." I stated truthfully. "I don't trust the Client on what he has planned for the child."

Mando sighed and had a moment of silence as he turned his head away. "Neither do I." he admitted, and I had a twinge of hope we would have a counter plan for the job, but I was immediately disappointed. "Let's just get it over with, Reina."

"But, Mando, I don't think—"

"This is the way."

I exhaled through my nose, unable to argue back. I looked at the child, whose tiny three-finger hand reached out to me and round dark eyes stared straight through me. They had me locked onto him, and for some reason I was unable to look away, as if the baby was restricting my ability to resist its gaze. All at once, my eyes began to burn with a sensation I've never felt before, yet it was similar when I was able to sense the mudhorn, only ten times worse. I began to cry out and I felt a pair of gloved hands on my shoulders as my own palms pressed against my face.

"Reina!" It was Mando's voice reaching me. "What's wrong?!"

"Ahh!" I cursed. "What is happening?!"

Abruptly, the pain vanished as swiftly as it appeared. I heaved deep breaths to calm myself. "Reina. Talk to me." Mando urged me by lightly shaking my shoulders. I slowly lowered my hands from my face and my eyes fluttered open. My jaw dropped to the floor as I gasped so harshly, Mando squeezed my biceps with distress. "What is it? Are you hurt?"

I lifted my chin to find Mando was kneeling at my level. My face was completely in line with the T section of his helmet. His chest armor was ultimately busted from the mudhorn fight. The baby laid in its pod behind him, half-asleep. The reality was...I didn't have to sense or touchh either of them to know this...

"I can see you, Mando." I breathed, my newly-healed pupils began to water.

"What?" Mando was as dumbfounded as I was.

I couldn't stop my hands from grasping his lower biceps just as tight as he was on mine. "Mando...I can see you! Really see you! I'm not blind anymore!"