Chapter 42. You love her, don't you?

A/N:  Long chapter ahead...

Anne's POV

"So, you're just gonna give up on your life because you feel guilty for using her?" I ask incredulously, staring at my excuse of a brother.

"It's not like that, Anne. You don't get it. It's not entirely because I feel guilty, you know..." Anthony made a face as if I were to get his point just like that.

"Why don't you explain me then, An?" I said before a realisation hit me as I narrowed my eyes at him, "You love her, don't you?"

Anthony seems stunned by my question, "I don't love her, " he was a bit too quick to reply to it and there was a fleeting moment when I caught him glancing at Giovanni with wary eyes. Why is he looking at Gio?

"Then why are you dying for her?" I was now officially pressing him on eggshells. The moon goddess knows, I'm desperate to hear his justification.

I guessed, if he's willing to save Carla's life by sacrificing his own then he must have some sort of feelings for her. But knowing him, he won't admit it even on his grave. Typical Anthony. But all of this doesn't mean I'm okay with any of it. Don't get me wrong, Anthony is the only person who's left in my life. I can't even think of losing him.

"Anne, will you stop making a fuss about this? It's my own wish and I will do it even if you don't agree to it. So just stop being a drama queen." Anthony rolled his eyes.

Ouch. That hurt. Damn asshole!

"I'm being a drama queen? Do you hear yourself, An? You're going to die and you expect me to say, 'Hey, it's fine. I'm okay with it. You may die, brother.' What bullshit is that?! You're the only one who's left in my life. How can you think I'll be okay with it?! Have you lost your mind?! How can you even consider leaving me alone?" Angry tears ran down my eyes as I fumed at him.

Damn it! Why does he want to die so desperately? I feel like strangling his neck right now. But still I don't want him to die.

Anthony's eyes softened at my outburst as he stepped forward and pulled me into an embrace, "Sshhh, little sis. Who said I'm leaving you alone? I'll always be in your heart, won't I? And there's also Gio to look after you. Besides, I don't deserve to live after what I did to you." The last sentence was barely audible for even my werewolf ears to hear.

"I've forgiven you for that, An. It wasn't your fault that Jake was a rogue who tried to destroy our pack. It wasn't your fault that you didn't know he was my mate and killed him for his deeds. It never was your fault. I'm sorry for leaving you like that. I was just unable to bear that pain but now I'm okay and I get it why you did what you did. Who knows, if I'm lucky, I might be blessed with a second chance mate." I winked at him as I pulled back from the embrace masking the ache in my heart with a grin on my face.

My mate was a touchy topic for me but thankfully I wasn't acquainted with him for long. That is, if you didn't consider 2 years as long. Anthony doesn't know this but I had already met Jake, my mate, long before the cellar incident when he died. But I kept it a secret from my brother so that he doesn't feel more guilty than he already is....

Anthony smiled despite that sad look on his face, "I love you so much, little sis. But I'm sorry..."

My brows furrowed at his last statement but the doubt was cleared as he stepped ahead and lightly tapped my temple with his fingers. I started feeling dizzy and that's when I understood what he did.

Damn, he's knocking me out with his ability!

"Gio, take care of her." The last thing I remember is, Anthony saying that as he kissed my forehead before handing me to Gio. I fell slack against Giovanni's body as darkness took over me.