Chapter 32

Chapter 32 (not proofread).

                I looked at the policeman in front of me, shocked by the tone of his voice and aggressive questions. Dr Barnes was sitting on the other side of the room, a neutral expression on her face as she observed.

                “No, Eli didn’t know of Finn before he met me,” I assured but the man cut me off, a bored face to go with his droning questions.

                “Maybe he got angry at your brother and wanted more justice, convinced you to come to the station and change your statement,” he continued. I took a glance at Dr Barnes, who nodded. I bit my lip, knowing that the court case was going to be harder than the first time, which was the polar opposite of what I’d been hoping.

                “He didn’t. He didn’t even know the sentencing until he told my mum,” I said, trying to move my chin up. Dr Barnes said it was an act of defiance when she was teaching me about body language and the braver I could be in court, the more respect from my parents I hoped to gain.

                “You stated that you were twelve when the abuse started. How clearly can you remember that day?” he asked, leaning on the side of his chair. I looked him in the eye when I told him that I remembered that day clearer than I remembered how I’d spent that morning.

                “How many times on average would you say you were assaulted by a Mr Steven Biggs?” the man enquired. The tension in my shoulders just knotted up at the mention of Steven.

                “Between three and ten, it was only when Steven asked Finn for a favour.” The officer nodded, looking down at his paper.

                “Did you ever cry out or scream for help?” I nodded, cringing at how he’d hit me when I got too loud. The room seemed to be closing, the only thing stopping it from crushing me was Dr Barnes and Eli, who was waiting patiently for me outside.

                “Twice before he used to punish me for it,” I said as bluntly as I could. He physically winced before continuing.

                “Why did nobody come to your aid?”

                “Because we live on the outskirts of a village, in a horse yard. We have no neighbours,” I replied.

                “Right, that’s enough,” Jenna’s dad cut in from his silent corner. He’d been in to view what I would be like under pressure and he shot me a small smile before continuing to talk to the police officer.

                “You’re doing alright, kid. Just don’t stammer, don’t show uncertainty on your answers and you should be fine,” the officer said. Jenna’s dad, Paul, nodded and got to his feet, escorting the chief police officer out.

                When the door closed behind them, Dr Barnes scooted into her usual chair and gave me a supportive smile.