Chapter 4

Grayson's grip on the man's neck was tightening more and more with every second. There were people surrounding him, trying to get his attention, pulling on him to try to get him to stop suffocating the man. But Grayson wasn't moving. He was like a statue.

There was one man that was particularly persistent in trying to get Grayson to stop. He was yelling, "Alpha! Alpha! You have to stop! You're going to kill him!"

Grayson paid no attention to him, just squeezed the man's neck harder. I pushed through the throng of people, trying to make my way to where he was. "Grayson!" I yelled when I finally reached him. I stood directly in front of him, trying to get his attention. "What are you doing?"

His eyes met mine and I took a step back. He was terrifying. His neck had grown two sizes and veins ran up to his face and around his black eyes. There were fangs sticking out from beneath his lips and foam gathering from his snarling mouth.

"Mate, move," he said to me, his expression leaving no room for argument.

Gladly, I thought.

I started to step backward, completely terrified out of my mind when a hand grabbed my wrist. It was the man who had called Grayson Alpha earlier.

"You're his mate?" he asked me frantically.

I didn't know what he meant. "What? No!" I said, trying to get out of his grip. He wasn't letting me go. But then I vaguely remembered Grayson calling me that earlier. "I don't know!" I yelled.

He brought his nose up and sniffed the air. What the hell? "You're human," he concluded. "But you smell of Alpha's mate."

"What?" I screeched.

"Look, there's no time to explain. If you don't calm him down, then he will kill that man."

I looked back at Grayson and saw him still strangling the man, the man's face now turning purple as he gasped for air, scratching at Grayson's hand.

"Calm him down? How am I supposed to calm him down? He's strangling someone!" I yelled.

"Touch him, talk to him, anything! Just get him to stop!"

I looked at the man in front of me. He looked extremely panicked. "Touch him?" I asked. I could do that. I could touch him. Hell, I'd basically been touching him this entire flight. The man nodded encouragingly and tugged me back to where Grayson was.

The choking man's movements were slowing, his head beginning to fall to one side. That couldn't be a good sign. I took a deep breath and then brought a shaky hand up and placed it on Grayson's shoulder. "Grayson?" I asked. His head snapped to look at me. I swallowed. "Please stop. You're hurting him."

He growled. Like, actually growled. "No." He turned back to the man he was choking.

Well... that didn't work.

I looked back at the man behind me. "Keep trying!" he yelled.

I whimpered. I stepped in front of Grayson and looked at his livid face. I put my hands on either side of his face and forced him to look at me. "Grayson, stop now. You're scaring me."

That made Grayson pause. His eyes softened a bit. His grip must've loosened because I suddenly heard frantic gasps of air. I was doing it! It was working! But then his expression hardened. "Mate, move, or I will move you. I am dealing with the threat. I am protecting you." His voice was deadly.

I took a step back and turned to the man that had gotten me into this mess. I could be back in my nice, cozy seat, by myself, not dealing with any of this. But nooooo, touch the livid, demon man, he said! Talk to the psychotic man strangling someone! It'll be fun, he said!