Chapter 2

"Master Bruce, there is someone on the phone for you."

Bruce looked up from the case file he was reading, "Tell them I'm busy."

"This call may actually be important sir." Alfred handed him the phone. "It's a woman from social services."

Bruce sighed; he knew what this was. About once a year someone would give him a call making sure Dick was okay. They feared that Bruce being a billionaire was having a bad influence on him. He picked up the phone, "Bruce Wayne speaking."

"Hello, Mr. Wayne." A woman said, "My name is Karen, I'm from social services."

"Is this about my ward Richard?" Bruce asked. "Because he is doing fine."

"No, this isn't about Richard." She answered. "Do you remember your second cousin Jack Fenton?"

"I believe so," Bruce replied. He could remember meeting the man once and thinking he was an idiot. All night long he went on about 'ghosts' as if they were real. It was insane. "What about him?"

"Well," she continued, "I regret to inform you that several nights ago he, his wife Maddie, their daughter Jasmine, and two friends of their son were murdered."

"That's terrible. However," he tried to say this as sensitively as possible, "I didn't know the man very well..."

"I know, but it's about his son, Daniel." She answered. "He was the one who discovered the bodies." Bruce's heart instantly went out to the boy. "We contacted his aunt, but she is not in the position to take in a child. There is a family friend from Wisconsin who has offered to take Daniel in, but the boy is very adamant about not staying with him for some reason, and you are technically family. I know it is a lot to ask, what with you already having a ward, but is there any way that you could take him in?"

Bruce thought about it. He knew the pains of having your parents taken from you. So did Dick. But Daniel... he had lost more than just his parents. He had lost his sister and his two friends. All in one night. Somewhere deep inside, Bruce thought there might be some way he could help him through this. "Of course, I will."

~time skip~

When Danny had arrived at the Gotham train station, he wasn't sure who would be picking him up. Apparently, all of the paperwork had already been filled out, so Danny could go to live with Mr. Wayne immediately.

Danny grabbed his suitcases and walked out the front doors. When Danny had packed his things, he didn't take a lot. He took the necessities, clothes, toothbrush, comb. Not much else. Any mementos he could have taken from his house only would have reminded Danny of what he had lost. Fenton works was his to live in once he was 18, so anything he left behind would be waiting for him once he returned.

However, the necessities only took up one bag, the other bag was another story. It was full of ghost hunting equipment. Danny wasn't sure what kind of place Gotham was, but he wanted to be prepared for anything. So, he had packed as many of his parent's inventions into his bag that he could.

When Danny walked outside, the cloud of despair that had been hanging over him since the incident grew even thicker. When he looked up in the sky, all he saw was grey even though it was the middle of the day. Everywhere he looked there was filth and grime. Gotham sure wasn't anything like Amity Park.

"Daniel Fenton?" Danny looked up and saw a man with jet black hair standing in front of him. He was wearing what looked to be a very expensive suit. On his right, there was an older man with a small mustache, he was also wearing a suit, but this one looked less expensive while still being of high quality. Lastly, on his left, there was a boy, about six inches shorter than Danny with black hair. He was looking a lot more casual in black jeans and a red hoodie.

"Yes," Danny answered quietly. His throat felt so dry. He had barely talked to anyone in the last few days. It would just make him sad.

"My name is Bruce Wayne." He said sticking his hand out to Danny. "I'm sorry for your loss..."

Danny had to keep from cringing. If he had a dime for every time, he had heard that phrase in the last few days, then he would have a lot of dimes. People say they are sorry, but how can they be if they've never even met him?

Danny set one of his bags down and shook Bruce's hand. "It's nice to meet you..."

Bruce gestured to the other man, "This is Alfred. He's my butler." Butler? "He can take your bags."

Danny's grip tightened on the bag containing his ghost weapons. "No." Bruce looked at him confused. "I mean... I've got it..."

Bruce nodded. "And this is Dick Grayson. He's my ward."

Dick smiled at him, "It's really nice to meet you. I'm looking forward to having another kid in the house. Bruce and Alfie can sometimes be a bit of a drag."

For a second, Danny's face took on a hint of a smile. This Dick guy seemed pretty nice. But as quickly as it appeared, the smile was gone. He couldn't become attached. Clearly, those he cared about most were bound to get hurt. "It's nice to meet you too." He said barely above a whisper.

When Bruce had first seen the boy standing outside the station, he wasn't quite sure what to make of him. He obviously looked very sad, but he couldn't get a read on what kind of personality he might have when he was not in mourning. However, when Dick had cracked a joke, he saw a hint of a smile peek through. There might be hope for him yet.

Bruce gestured to the car next to them. "You can put your bags in the trunk."

Danny nodded and did as he was told. Bruce got in the passenger seat while Dick and Danny took the back. The ride home was extremely awkward. No one said a word. Even Dick, who Bruce could almost never get to be quiet, couldn't seem to think of the right words to say. It was clear that they had some work to do...

(A/N - Hey guys! :) I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Make sure to come back next week! Thanks for reading! Stay whelmed and go ghost!)