xxxv. when the galaxy dies

THIRTY FIVE.
when the galaxy dies!
。・:*:・゚ 。・:*:・゚

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Starlight reflects off Zoya's skin, giving her an ethereal glow as she gazes out upon the galaxy. The child sits in the seat behind her, eyes wide as he groggily pulls himself out of a deep sleep. She'd separated herself from the others for an hour to sit with him while he napped. Din had left the ship on autopilot, setting their destination for Nevarro—back to where everything had started.

Zoya smiles quietly as she remembers lying in wait for Din on his ship, blaster in hand, ready to kill him the second he entered the cockpit. Hesitating, him catching her off guard. Besting her, once again.

The child gurgles behind her, drawing Zoya out of her reverie. Turning, she grins down at him, reaching to pick him up. "All done sleeping?" she asks. "You had quite the nap."

Cooing in response, the creature twists his tiny fingers into her hair.

"Sounds like it," she says, stepping out of the pilot's cabin. "Want to go find everyone else?" His eyes, impossibly, seem to get even bigger as he gazes up at her adoringly. "I'll take that as a strong yes."

Zoya carries the child down to the belly of the Razor Crest, holding him carefully as she descends the ladder. Din's waiting for her at the bottom, having heard her approach. When she gets close enough, he reaches up and holds her waist, lowering both her and the child gently to the floor, warmth filling his chest at the sight of them together.

"He slept okay?" Din asks, keeping a careful, steadying hand on her lower back as she turns to face him, feeling her skin burn against his fingertips, even through the cloth barriers of her shirt and his gloves.

"Kind of restless, but okay for the most part," Zoya replies. "He started snoring a little bit, it was the cutest thing. I wanted to come get you, but I wasn't sure if he'd still be doing it when we made it back."

Beneath the helmet, a soft smile lifts the edges of Din's mouth, and his fingers curl into the fabric of her shirt. "I'm sure it was adorable."

"It really was." Zoya sighs. "Dammit. I wish I would've come to get you."

"It's okay," Din says, trying to quell his smile. "Really. You telling me about it is enough. And—the ship's on the right path? Still flying all right?"

She nods. "Yeah, everything's in order."

"Mando." Cara snaps her fingers, catching both Din and Zoya's attention. "Are we gonna do this, or what?"