Chapter 9

Pip sat at the table in the kitchen, staring out at the woods stretching past the garden. He swirled his spoon around his cereal and tried thinking about college and his classes. He tried thinking about the books he was reading, or music, or films, or anything other than the institute.

He survived a full day without anyone coming for him. Pip worried that they'd change their mind and silence him before he spoke about what happened the other night.

So far, so good. Pip's next worry was Mark and his idiot friends. Still, he kept thinking back to the institute and the guy they called their Alpha. Why did they call him that? Why was he in charge? What was he in charge of, and why did they all live in the institute? Why could they get away with hurting Pip instead of letting the police deal with his crime?

"Because they know I'm such a bloody coward," Pip muttered, still staring into the woods.

He took his time eating his cereal until a voice yelled, "Pippor, you'll be late! Hurry up!"

Pip grabbed his bag and rushed to the living room where his aunt sat at her sewing machine. "I'll be late home because-"

"No. You have to be back by four because our kids are getting dropped off home then. Your uncle and I are going out."

"Well, um..." Pip hovered from one foot to the other. He lowered his head and asked, "can you get a-a babysitter? I really need to use the library-"

"Pippor," his aunt said so sternly, Pip stood up straight.

"Sorry," he whispered. "It's fine. I'll be home."

"I'm appalled you tried to get out of it. We've done all we can to raise you to be a respectable young man, and you throw it in our faces. Go, Pippor, before you're late."

Pip whispered another apology and sprinted out of the house. He dug hands into the pockets of his oversized hoodie and stared glumly down the street. He finished college at 4:30, which meant he had to leave early, again.

Pip would have taken library books home, but he couldn't risk getting fined. He was very forgetful and had a very scattered mind. Pip didn't trust himself to remember to take every book back in time.

Never mind, he thought, looking at his injured fingers. Maybe I can have an actual night off. He smiled at the thought until someone deliberately drove into a deep puddle by the side of the road and splashed him.

Pip leapt back but the water mostly covered his right leg. Luckily, he wore black jeans. His bright yellow hoodie and yellow converse, however, looked a little murky.

Pip wanted to walk back home and fling himself into bed. He took a deep breath and decided to run the rest of the way.

By the time Pip got to college, not many students were outside. He was late, or very close to being late. Pip jogged up the steps and stopped at the top as though he hit a brick wall.

He turned around.

He didn't know why he looked back down the steps and across the street. When he did, he saw someone staring. The guy was too far away for Pip to recognise, but he had felt eyes on him.

Pip lost himself instantly. The rest of his body turned until all of him faced away from the college. He stepped down the first step, and the person watching him stopped leaning against the tree and stepped forwards.

Pip took another step down, entranced. Something urged for him to go to the man, like an invisible force or a strong wind he couldn't feel.

"Oh, Pippor," a voice called, and Pip snapped awake from his captivated state. The blood drained from his face.