Chapter 36: Shadow of Naginata Blades

Back at the camp, Saito Hajime is cleaning his katana. He looked up at the blue sky that towered over the cherry tree. Suddenly, his heart felt uneasy. He cant help but frown. This sort of feeling....

"Soma..." his eyes widened and rushed outside the training grounds. He still remember when they were both childs and carelessly went to a mountain for catching a small cricket. That time, Saito was too focused at the jumping insect that he did not notice Soma being lost. His heart went thumping fast, it gave him the feeling of great uneasiness.

But this time, the feeling is not as great when Soma was lost, he hoped his sister is alright. He cant let that happen once more!

Saito rushed at his yard while breathing heavily from exhaustion. "Soma!" he called out.

No answer, this made Saito even down. He is really worried, Soma is the youngest of them, she was also the only girl of their family and the most pampered child. Saito became a unit captain for his family but it is useless if they still get into trouble. "Soma!" he shouted and went inside every room of the yard.

Unfortunately, Soma is not here. Even the little maid Ishi, where did they go?

"Damn it!" he cursed, they were just girls and yet they barge outside without his consent! What if they met bandits? What if they run into a group of bastards?

His eyes went cold, even if Vice-Commander Toushirou founds out he left the camp, even if it meants trouble, even if he was ordered to commit seppuko, Saito cant be held back anymore as he took his katana.

seppuko- a suicide punishment in Japan where an individual cut through his belly by himself

Just as he opened the door, a sight welcomed him from outside. Souji Okita and Soma were talking with each other while walking towards the entrance of the yard, Ishi is behind them with Reo as company. His heart settled when he saw his sister is safe, Souji is with her anyway, there's nothing to be worried of. Wait, Souji is with Soma?

Souji handed a bag of vegetables to Soma once they reached entrance, he bid his farewell and left with Reo. Ishi saw how daze her young miss is while looking at the departing Souji. What could her miss be thinking? Why does she look so sad?

"Miss, what are you thinking?"

"Nothing." Yun Ren Xie responded. Just now, she was looking at Souji because she felt sorry for him, for how she played his fate when she was making the manga, and for how he and Nakano's love story will end. If only she can rewrite the story and atleast make a few years of their love and care.

"Let's go." she smiled at Ishi and turned but stopped when she saw a familiar person in front of her. He was close enough to Yun Ren Xie and only few inches separates their stance.

"Where did you go?" Saito said in a very cold voice.

Yun Ren Xie raised her head, it was familiar to her. The day where she escaped the Snow Lotus Palace, Ying Zheng also asked her with the same indiffrent tone. She stared at Saito Hajime without any response, why all of a sudden she wanted to see Wuming once more but no, he is not Wuming either Ying Zheng or even Qin Shi Huang but only the young Saito Hajime of Japan.

Saito flinched at how his sister is staring at him. It really made him feel embarassed and angry. He never favor such loose etiquette of a girl especially if its his younger sister. A strict discipline can make Soma act more like a lady.

Meanwhile, Yun Ren Xie saw how Saito became even more colder to her but she did not expect what Saito did next. "Ishi, go cook lunch. Your not allowed to go anywhere other than the kitchen!" he angrily said as he pulled Yun Ren Xie at the backyard.

'B-Baoshi! Do you think Saito likes his sister?'

'Host, I understand what Saito feels but its far from a love between couples.'

'Then what?'

'If Im him, I would take out a stick and smack your palm for four times.'

'Why?!'

Baoshi did not speak which irritated Yun Ren Xie. But before she could even lament once more, Saito spoke. "Sit." he pointed at the cushion on the wooden floor. The backyard have a small garden full of spring blossoming flowers with a small artificial waterfall, there is a wooden floor where a table and cushion chairs were placed, it was a great place for viewing. Yun Ren Xie obediently sat and stared at the scenery with awe.

"Reach out both your hands and open your palm." Saito was now standing on the grassy land in front of Yun Ren Xie, he was holding his hands at his back.

She was curious what will Saito do. Just as she did spread her palm, her 'brother' asked her a question.

"Do you think male and females are able to go anywhere together?"

Wha-...... Yun Ren Xie frowned. What could he mean?

"Yes, the man can protect the girl anywhere so its-"

Smack!

Saito just used a stick to hit Soma's palm. It was not that painful though but its enough to make Yun Ren Xie's anger level rise.

"Is staring at your oniisan good?"

oniisan-big brother

Yun Ren Xie was taken aback, what can she answer? What if he hit her palm once more?

"Brother is handsome so I-"

Smack!

"Ow!" she was shock to feel the second hit getting painful.

"Now, will you try going outside without my consent?" Saito did not budge even if he saw how irritated and hurt Soma is.

"N-no....." Yun Ren Xie was crying inside, why did she even bother to create this attitude of Saito? Now she knows why Nakano called him 'devious'.

"Good. What lesson have you learned?" Saito crossed his arms.

"I wont stare at brother and no more running away."

She thought the gentle Saito will come back, unfortunately, Saito showed a slight anger on his face.

"No more?" he asked.

Yun Ren Xie's lip twitched. What does he mean no more? She saw Saito moving his hand and knew he is about to hit her palm again. The second smack was painful, then the third one will surely be more painful!

"Uwu~! Soma will be more obedient! I will do anything oniisan wants to!" Yun Ren Xie quickly jumped down from the wooden floor and hugged her brother's waist. Never in her life was she treated like this so Yun Ren Xie's spoilt side is breaking free from the cage.

Zhao Huang Cai never hurt her physically, even Li Feng Qi, or her foster parents and everyone else! Not even Ying Zheng, Li Si or Gu Ling! She cant take this punishment anymore, the only way is to act pitiful or just run away but that was more stupid than the first option.