5. Apples And All That

I read his little black book. 

Actually, make that I tried to read it, but most of it was simply too comprehensive for my mind to grasp. However, there were some bits that I, even with my brain, actually understood. And there was only one reason why.

To my surprise, the book turned out to be his own personal notations and explanations of different areas within mathematics. Everything from simple calculus, analysis and geometry to applied mathematics, number theories and mathematical physics. There was a lot I didn't understand, but the parts I did understand... I only understood because he had rewritten the rules of how to learn them.

The loose notes that seemed to be crammed into the book at odd places held dates, formulas and examples of how he had managed to find alternative ways to make advanced math easier to understand. In other words, he had simplified hard math with sometimes just a single equation or piece of text so that it became easier to consume. I remember my eyes had widened as I'd read it and understood it, but not as much as when my eyes fell on the date to which he had made these discoveries.

High School Harry had been doing advanced mathematics ever since he was a teenager and simplifying it so even a moron like me could understand it. It was absolutely incredible.

It took me just about two hours to go through the little book, most of which time had been used to reread and try and remember his new, simpler rules. They applied to a lot of things, including things I hadn't learnt yet, but after reading this, it suddenly seemed like it wasn't going to be impossible for me to learn anymore.

Harry Devon had simplified the entire language of math and nobody knew. No wonder he was a fucking mathematical genius.

And why he was so notoriously private.

If anyone found these equations and learned how to apply them, the world of math and schools all around the world would basically have to reinvent their whole understanding of how math worked. To me, this was just a little black book, but to the world, this was revolutionary. Even someone as math-dumb as me could see this.

After a long shower, a face mask and a ten minute yoga stretch, I finally came out of my room, after spending the last few hours consuming all that he had written. The book, now firm in my hand, had to go back to its owner, whom not to anyone's surprise was to be found in his study, bent over a big book.

"Fuck Newton," I voiced, standing in the doorway to his office. I crossed my arms as Harry's head lifted and watched as his eyes landed on me. "That's basically what you're saying in this book, aren't you?"

I lifted the book and came in, shutting the door behind me as Harry leaned back and took off his glasses. He smiled calmly as I whacked the book down on his desk and took a seat on the edge.

"Did you understand anything?" He finally questioned.

"Did I? Why don't you tell me," I said, pursing my lips. He fucking knew I did. A monkey could've understood what he had written. It was absolutely incredible. It was like a secret math weapon that anyone could understand. "I know your ego is already sufficiently big, so I'm not going to sit here and tell you if I learnt anything, but if you're going to hand me a book like this, it better come with an offer."

"It does," Was his reply. He looked down at the book on his desk and slowly closed it. "I've decided to give you a chance to redeem yourself and earn your keep."

"Earn my keep?" I crossed my legs and narrowed my eyes. "Meaning...?"

"You've been staying here for weeks now, Ms Berry, and although to some people this is considered a vacation, I fully intended to start making you work for your place here in my house."