6 || newspaper articles

After the excitement of splashing around in the water for a few hours, you decided to rest under the heat of the scorching sun. You and Beverly laid on a shared blanket placed on the ground while the boys sat on the rocks. The radio began to blast one of the your favorite songs, Bust A Move, when you opened your eyes to see the five boys staring at the two of you. They were unaware that you had caught them since your sunglasses were shielding your eyes, so you decided to speak up and embarrass them.

"You guys do know that we can still see you under our sunglasses, right?"

Their eyes immediately widened and they all hastily looked away, pretending to be busy with something. You sat up and shared a look with Beverly, who laughed and sat up as well.

"News flash, Ben. School's out for the summer!" Richie exclaimed, rummaging through Ben's backpack and examining the many things he had in it.

"Oh, that? That's not school stuff," Ben replied.

Richie paused as he pulled out a postcard.

"Who sent you this?" he flipped it over, grinning.

"No one. Give it," Ben said hurriedly as you and Beverly looked over in interest. He snatched it away and pushed it deep down back into his backpack.

Richie then pulled out what looked like a folder filled with newspaper clippings, articles, and other papers.

"What's with the history project?" he asked, handing the folder over to Bill for him to see.

"Oh, well, when I first moved here, I didn't really have anyone to hang out with, so I just started spending time in the library," Ben explained.

"You went to the library?" Richie asked incredulously. "On purpose?"

He looked absolutely appalled, like going to the library was a sin.

"Oh, I want to see," Beverly said, getting up and walking over to sit beside Bill.

"Me too," you chimed in, standing up and taking a seat next to Stanley, who seemed a bit taken aback that you chose to be by him when there were other spots available.

"What's the Black Spot?" he asked, looking over the articles.

"The Black Spot was a nightclub that was burned down years ago by that racist cult," Eddie answered.

"The what?" you questioned, perplexed.

"Don't you watch Geraldo?" Eddie asked.

"No. What even is that?" You scrunched your nose up and made a face at him. "Is it a show for germaphobes?" Eddie stuck his tongue out at you in response.

"Your- your- your hair..." Bill said to Beverly, drawing the others' attention to him. The redhead stared at him in confusion, waiting patiently to see what he had to say.

"Your- your hair's beautiful, Beverly," Ben interjected, smiling at her.

"Oh... right," she said, reaching a hand up to tuck her newly cut hair behind her ear. "Thanks."

Ben looked tremendously proud of himself, and you and the others exchanged awkward glances.

"Here, pass it," Richie broke the silence. He began flipping through all of the papers in the folder. "Why's it all murders and missing kids?"

He handed it to Stanley, who opened it and tilted it at angle so that you could see it too. You leaned closer to scrutinize the articles when you felt your shoulders brush against each other's. You prayed that he couldn't hear your heart begin to beat faster and faster at the intimate contact.

"Derry's not like any town I've ever been in before," Ben explained. "They did a study once, and it turns out... people die or disappear six times the national average."

"You read that?" Beverly asked quietly, almost like she didn't want to believe it.

Ben nodded.

"And that's just grown ups. Kids are worse. Way, way worse."

Silence fell upon you as you took in all of the information he was telling you, apprehensive looks planted on each of your faces. It was definitely not creepy. No, not creepy at all...

—————

Hi there! I just wanted to say thank you guys so so much for 1k reads on this book! I never thought it would get this many reads and it means the world to me! Stay tuned for chapter 7!