Sixteen

Kaycee raced around her kitchen, her phone resting in the crook of her neck as she listened to the boy on the other end.

"So you have another shoot today?" Jack asked hesitantly, his voice raspy.

Kaycee sighed, packing the sandwich she'd just made into a small backpack cooler. "Mhm, with Sean. Just so you know."

Jack chuckled, "I know. You told me yesterday, and the day before that."

"And you're okay with that?" Kaycee asked incredulously.

"As long as you're not lying to me, I'm happy for you."

And as long as you don't act like a jealous prick, I'm happy she thought. She didn't dare say that, though. Things between the two had been oddly nice the past couple of days. Jack reached out to her more and their conversations felt normal, not forced.

And then he dropped the bomb. "Will you come over tomorrow? Or, you know, I could come see you if that works better." He asked confidently.

Kaycee stopped what she was doing to grab the phone with her hand, the conversation suddenly taking a more serious turn. "I'm not sure, Jack-"

"Kayc, it's been weeks. We can't avoid each other forever. Things have been better lately." He pleaded on the other end of the line.

She took a deep breath, weighing her options carefully. Unfortunately for her, her phone beeped, indicating that someone else was trying to call her at that moment. Assuming it was Sean letting her know he was almost to her place to pick her up, she knew she had to give Jack an answer now.

She bit the bullet, "Yeah, come over tomorrow afternoon. I have to go, I'll see you." She pressed the 'end and accept' button and placed the phone back up to her ear.

"What do you want, Shamu?" She joked, racing to the fridge and pulling out two waters.

"Oh how I've missed you, too." He laughed on the other end, "I almost thought you weren't going to pick up."

Kaycee snorted, "You interrupted another phone call, you're lucky I chose you instead."

"I'm honored." He said, sarcasm lacing his voice. "But anyway, my mom is about to pull into your driveway, just to warn you."

Kaycee glanced at the clock on the wall, her face morphing into a frown. "You're ten minutes early! I don't even know if my mom is ready yet."

"We're in your driveway, if you're not out here in two minutes I'm coming in there and dragging you out." He mumbled, hanging up immediately after.

Kaycee groaned, Sean always tried to be early, she knew that, but it still bothered her. She was the kind of person to be right on time, but Sean hated feeling rushed, so she'd have to make sacrifices for him not to complain.

Laura raced down the stairs moments later, her purse and phone in hand and a smile on her face. "I heard they're early?"

Kaycee laughed, pulling the small cooler from the counter and slipping on her shoes. "He probably told Miya they had to be here half an hour ago so they'd get here on time." She joked, pushing the front door open and holding it for her mom.

Laura followed her outside, laughing along with her daughter. Sean saw them exit the house and jumped out of the passenger seat and sat himself in the back. Laura graciously took the seat beside Miya and Kaycee slid her way into the seat beside Sean.

"How'd you get her to be early?" Kaycee teased, nodding her head toward Miya as she buckled herself in.

Sean shrugged, "She thinks we're late. I told her we were supposed to be here five minutes ago."