Lurking

Waking up the next morning, I could feel the warmth from Jett's body against my back. The soft, golden glow of the rising sun, shone through the curtains. I checked the clock on my bedside table. It was nearly seven. I didn't want to get up, I hated the idea of moving a single inch out of this comfy position under the big warm duvet, wrapped tightly in Jett's arms. I could hear the soft, rhythmic sound of his shallow breathing, and for a moment, allowed my eyes to drift closed once more as I sank back against him. Just as my mind was relaxing, and fading back to sleep, the loud buzzing of my alarm filled the room. Jett shuffled behind me, sighing with a small groan. I rolled forwards to switch the alarm off, feeling him shuffle closer and pulling me back against his chest, still fast asleep. I linked my fingers through his, lifting his hand to my lips and kissing his fingertips then his palm, working my way up to his wrist.

"Morning." He mumbled sleepily in my ear, his breath tickling the back of my neck.

"Morning."

He stretched, then snaked his arms around me, holding me tightly as he kissed the back of my shoulder.

"Time to get up?" He asked.

"Time for work, yeah."

He groaned in response, then rolled over, throwing back the duvet and sitting up. I watched as he trudged across the room, his hair all tousled and his eyes blurry with tiredness, then went into the bathroom. I rolled onto my back, spreading out and feeling the sweet relief in my muscles as I stretched my limbs, half moaning and half yawning at the pleasurable feeling.

"If you keep making sounds like that, we'll be late." Jett called from the bathroom.

I laughed swinging my legs over the edge of the mattress, and rising to my feet.

"That's okay, I'm in tight with the boss." I called back.

I heard him chuckle, and the shower turn on. My stomach rumbled and I figured I'd head to the kitchen to start some breakfast, and make coffee whilst he showered.

After we'd both cleaned up, changed and eaten, we left the house. It was a chilly morning again, the air smelled so clean and fresh, not tarnished like it was back in the city. I steered out onto the road, barely even registering the unfamiliar black car that was parked nearly opposite my place.

"Do you want to go to yours to change?" I asked, reaching the hook in the road.

"Nah, it's fine. I have spare clothes at the garage."

I nodded and took the route towards work, arriving outside not too long later. I could see someone outside as I pulled into my usual place. I could tell from their muscular build, that it was a man, but his black hoodie made it impossible to tell who it was. For a moment I felt a sense of panic rising in my chest, what if this was something to do with Carl, if one of his criminal buddies had come here to receive some other payout he owed. He turned as I cut the engine and I breathed out a sigh of relief as I saw it was Roman. He looked surprised as he saw us both get out of my truck and walk towards him.

"Oh there you are."

"Roman, what brings you here so early?" Jett asked, clearly confused by the random behaviour.

Roman shifted a little, looking between me and Jett.

"Want me to unlock?" I asked, sensing that they wanted a little privacy.

Jett nodded and tossed me the keys.

"What happened to your cheek?" Roman asked, looking at me with clear concern and sincerity.