Chapter 22: Stand up Against

I WAS WOKEN UP with the sound of the maids scuttling outside my room. I was planning to go back to sleep until I realized that tomorrow's a big day and that the maids are probably busy preparing everything. 

Napabalikwas ako sa kama. Right. Tomorrow is my wedding day. Exene assured me that it won't be something grand. Just a civil wedding with few selected guests. I am relieved to hear that. 

I did my morning routine. Two girls went inside my room to help me prepare but I sent them to help the other maids instead. I can manage on my own. As soon as I finished doing my hair, I received an invitation to join breakfast. I sighed. I am going to see the face of Emerich Sardon again. 

A knock on my door caught my attention. Bumukas iyon at iniluwa doon si Muriel. She looks gorgeous with her dress and the big belly bump. 

"I guess I can't take you away now that you're marrying my brother. " She started dahilan para mapangiti ako. 

"I guess," 

She smiled. "But that won't stop me from getting you to visit me in Sicily." 

"Of course. I will come and visit you," 

Another figure appeared at inakbayan si Muriel. "And you will visit me too in my turf." Quinny grinned at me. 

"Oh for goodness' sake. Liliana has no time to watch you wrestling your men." 

Quinny only chuckled and they both escorted me to the dining hall. The dining hall is starting to look grander than it was thanks to the maids. The Queen is standing near the window. Quinny and Muriel went to their mother and gave her hugs and kisses. The Queen motioned me to come kaya lumapit na rin ako. That's when I saw what she's looking at. It's the King and Exene having a sword fight. 

"They don't spend time together like this." The Queen blurted. I didn't know that. Was it because Exene is too busy running his own city or what.

"He left this castle at a very young age," Napatingin ako sa kanya when she blurted out those words. Not only because it's shocking but because of the pain I heard in her voice. I did not dare ask what happened or why did Exene leave the castle at a very young age. Not when I know that it will break her heart even more telling the story. Not when I know Exene probably wouldn't me to hear it. Not when Exene is looking at me right now through the glass window. 

The Queen sighed. "My apologies. Come, the foods are ready. They will eat later." She said as he touched my elbow and guided me to the table. The meal was full of laughter that I almost forgot what the Queen said earlier. 

We went to the garden after the meal. The weather is good and I can smell the freshly cut grass as we lounge and drank our tea. The Queen did not talk much after what she said before breakfast. It's as if she's restraining herself to talk more about it. I don't want to pry either and I can sense it is a sensitive topic based on her reactions and the fact that Exene hasn't told me about it.

I went back to my room to prepare for dinner. I haven't had the chance to talk to Exene all day. I don't know where he is either. And as I realize the day of my wedding is gettinf closer, a gnawing feeling of guilt keeps me occupied all day. Hindi ako pwedeng mag back out sa kasal. I have to do it. It is for my sake and for Exene's too. But the fact that i will be lying to the King, the Queen, and the Princesses makes me very guilty when they all have treated me  nicely.

Napahinga ako ng malalim habang nakatingin sa salamin. As if I have a choice now. I just brushed my hair.

Satisfied, I decided to go out. I truged on the empty hallways. Kabisado ko na ang daan papunta sa dining that's why when escorts came earlier I told them I'm not finished fixing myself yet and I'll just go there alone. Thankfully, they obliged.