chapter 5

Saturday, February 8th, 2020

The day goes by smoothly after I apologise to mum about what I had said to her last night. She waves it off, like flicking a pesky fly away. She doesn't bring it up again, so I don't either. We move on.

I also agree to take the car to school, which makes her smile. I knew she was just trying to replace the memory of who used to drive it but either way, I just wanted to make it up to her. I didn't know how I'd go, but if worst came to worst, I'd just walk.

It's a rather boring Saturday until Kennedy texts me. Cooper was right about her being persistent. I hadn't wanted to give my number out to her, but she practically wrangled my phone from my hand.

Can I call you? :)

I almost smile. Kennedy was definitely the type of person to text someone asking if she could call instead of just calling to see if I pick up.

I contemplate it for a moment. It must be a moment too long because Kennedy, who I've also learnt isn't very patient, is now calling me.

She's written her name in as Ken, which I've never actually called her because I didn't think we were close enough for that just yet.

"Hey," I answer, my voice hesitant. "Everything okay?"

"Of course! Happy Saturday, Lonnie! How has your weekend been so far?"

It's crazy how happy she was all the time. I wish I could just have a slice of that.

"It's only 10 am."

"And?"

"I've only been up for half an hour."

"Oh, well, how has your half an hour been then?" she asks.

"Fine," I inform. "So, what's up?"

"Well," she delights, her voice soft. "Today is Bakley's annual carnival fundraiser in town. It's probably the most exciting thing there is to do here and everyone is going. I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to show you around your new town and get to know you better."

This sounded like the worst opportunity to me, actually.

"Oh, actually, Kennedy, I can't today. Sorry. I've still— I have to unpack some more of my stuff and—"

"Oh, come on! You have tomorrow to do that! Please, Lon. Please come with us? It'll be fun, I promise!"

I sigh, biting my nail. My braclet slips down my arm, the bangles clattering together.

"I don't know," I speak, uneasy.

"Please, please, please? I'll even get one of us to pick you up."

I'd have to lie to my parents and I wasn't sure that I wanted to do that, not after the incident last night.

"I know we've only known each other for a week, but I thought you'd learnt by now! I will not take no for an answer."