[Act 1] Chapter 15: A Break from War

When Helga was forced to go back to her encampment and Rommel headed back to Sapphire River to go beyond the Gate, only Werner's unit was left to garrison the city of Guinevere. Werner would call that a victory, enough to place his feet on the table.

Within the city, the men of the Tor Korps were designated specifically to the nobility section of the city instead of the barracks, treated as if they were nobles themselves rather than the simple soldiers they were, but some chose to man the walls to keep their feet moving. Although clearly a ploy in order to sweeten the relations between the two people, none bothered to act on it after they were treated to fine meals, entertainment and, best of all, beer.

Werner found himself in the company of Salomon, Simo and the elven girls within a luxurious mansion, at the generosity of Guinevere herself, with maids tending to their every need. Though finding himself at odds with the maids who constantly requested to bathe him personally, he found the treatment was a great relief to him and his favourite officers who were finally able to be free from their military uniforms, even though it wasn't an authorized leave. Judging by the sounds of Oktoberfest coming early, it certainly seemed like they were on vacation.

Celene, the only human maid, the head of the ten maids in the room, came up to Werner and said, "Master Werner, are you sure everything is to your liking? My girls are more than willing to provide you-"

"For the last time, I will have my bath at night, so tell your girls to step away from me, please," Werner dryly demanded. "I am an officer in the Wehrmacht, not some man you can leer at all day."

"Now why in the Paragon's name would you think that?"

The coy response left Werner speechless. The only thing that made it worse was the sweet and perverse giggles of the maids behind her.

"Salomon, Simo," Werner sighed, turning to his two officers on the other side of the table. "Please say or ask me something to distract me, please."

"Sure," Salomon said. "How long do you plan to keep us around when you aren't even using our talents properly?"

"I was actually hoping you two would stay as long as I command."

"Be aware that I am loyal to Finland, so is Salomon here," Simo responded. "If we both are suddenly called back, then you will be alone here with underwhelming officers and the woman you so loath."

"Well, I just hope you are considering staying as long as you can. I have a need for close allies."

"Well, what are you hoping for in the future? You already told Rommel your plans, likely going beyond the Gate to attend the meeting since this was your idea and probably going to win this war once the alliance is established. Where does that leave you?"

"I am thinking about creating my own auxiliary forces," Werner answered. "An army made entirely on the people here. I will give them guns, a place to live in our area and pay them a single gold a week. They will be loyal only to me and me alone unless there is a change in command. They will not be part of the larger German armies."

"You lost me at 'give them guns'," Salomon said, wiping a sweat. "You don't seriously intend to give them guns, do you?

"Well, I'm not going to give them a damn Panzerschrek if that is what you are fearful of. I was thinking of granting them the replaced Kar98ks for the privates and outdated MP35 for members, mainly the sergeants, who will show true loyalty to the Kaiserreich."

"You can give them something older than that," Simo suggested. "I mean, the manufacturing of the Kar98k is still superior to my Mosin-Nagant in many ways."