Chapter Forty-Seven

Songs for this chapter:
• Amnesia - 5 Seconds of Summer

Chapter Forty-Seven:

Bryce's POV

The nurses were able to determine that Blossom has a concussion almost immediately.

And then, after asking her a few questions about the day of the accident that she was unable to answer, they determined that she's suffering from memory loss as well.

After the nurses delivered this information to the Brookses and I, they said that they had to speak to Blossom alone for a little while longer before disappearing back into the hospital room.

I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from fighting them on the matter.

The nurses returned soon after, and it was pretty fucking obvious that something wasn't right judging by the looks on their faces.

I expected them to ask to speak to Kathleen and Johnathon, but instead, one of the nurses looked me directly in the eye. "You're Bryce, yes?"

I swallow hard before nodding slowly.

The nurse smiles, but her smile is sickeningly sweet. "We would like to have you help us determine how much memory Ms. Brooks has lost as you are the only person present who was consistently with her for the past several months. Please come with us."

I instinctively glance towards Kathleen and Johnathon, who both have their brows furrowed and confusion in their eyes. Nonetheless, Kathleen gives me a reassuring nod, and so I reluctantly follow the nurses into Blossom's hospital room.

There we find Blossom, sitting in the bed, her knees curled up to her chest. She's resting her chin on her knees and she's rocking back and forth ever so slightly, her eyes brimming with tears that she doesn't bother to wipe away.

She's wrapped her arms around her legs and she's gripping her shins so tightly that her knuckles have turned white. Her eyes are open and she looks completely alert, but she's staring blankly at the floor, her eyes glazed over.

She doesn't seem to hear the sound of our footsteps as we enter the room, but she finally becomes aware of our presence when one of the nurses shuts the door after us.

Blossom's eyes dart right towards me, and they fill up with tears all over again.

Completely disregarding what the nurses have been telling me for the past week, I make my way towards Blossom's bed before sitting down next to her and pulling her into my arms.

"How are you feeling?" I ask her softly as she presses her face to my chest and wraps her arms around my waist.

She sniffles. "I just want to go home."

All I can do is hug her tighter and kiss her temple as the two nurses sit down in the chairs next to the bed. One of them has a clipboard and pen and looks ready to ask some questions, and so reluctantly, I release Blossom from my hold.

She stares at me, expressionless, for a moment as she becomes aware of the fact that my arms are no longer around her. Her bottom lip begins to tremble and she looks as though she's about to start sobbing.

Hoping to comfort her, I loop one of my pinky fingers through hers.

Thankfully, this seems to lift her spirits as the faintest trace of a smile ghosts her lips.

"I know that we've just asked you some of these questions, Lexi, but we're going to have to ask you again and record your answers. Does that sound all right?" the nurse with the clipboard—the one who seems to do all the talking—asks.