Listen For The Bells

I watched silently as Elena put Stefan's daylight ring on his middle finger while he slept soundly on the couch in the living room. I gave a small smile and walked away from them and into the library where Damon stood in front of the fire place silently, holding a glass of bourbon in hand. "So Katherine is gone.. but we got Stefan back. Is there a downside?" I asked in amusement towards him but watched as he remained silent. "Stefan has his daylight ring back.. we're all set for a picnic." I added jokingly again as I walked towards Damon before I wrapped my arms around his torso from behind and rested my head against his back. "He's lucky he has a brother who looks out for him.. otherwise, you might have pawned it for a pinball machine." I whispered, smirking a bit.

"Hmm." Damon replied quietly and I furrowed my eyebrows before I stepped in front of him.

"Elena said she found you and Stefan at the cabin. Both knocked out and alone.. So, I'm just guessing that you ran into Qestiyah." I stated, eyeing him closely. "Tell me what she said to you." I added in confusion before he let out a deep sigh.

"Well.. she told me a very interesting story about the doppelgangers. How they are fated to fall in love with each other.." Damon stated and I crossed my arms over my chest and slowly nodded.

"Well, then that makes sense. About Katherine and Elena both having those dreams about Stefan.." I pointed out, shaking my head at him as he looked me up down condescendingly.

"Well.. it just so happens that you look exactly like Katherine and Elena.." Damon countered and I scoffed in amusement.

"I'm Katherine's daughter. Not her doppelgänger, Damon.. and I'm not going to let Silas' two thousand year old ex-girlfriend screw things up for us—" I started before he quickly cut me off.

"You think I am? No one tells me how I live my life. No one tells me who I love. Especially not some vindictive prehistoric witch, and definitely not the universe. And I'm not going to let someone else's idea of destiny, stop me from loving you or being with you or building a future with you because—you are my life." Damon stated angrily down at me and I tilted my head at him as we stared at each other silently now. I let a small smile slip and gave a small nod before I grabbed the back of his neck and pulled him towards me, kissing him. I smiled into the kiss before we both slowly pulled away with confused looks as indistinct voices came from the living room. Damon and I walked towards it to see Elena standing in front of a now conscious Stefan and they both turned towards us as we came into the room.

"Welcome back, brother." Damon stated gesturing towards Stefan while I smiled down at him.

"Stefan.. we missed you." Elena added, turning back towards him and smiling widely. Stefan looked between the three of us as he slowly stood from the couch.

"Uh, I'm sorry.. I—I have no idea who you people are." Stefan stated in confusion and I furrowed my eyebrows and exchanged looks with Damon and Elena before we all looked back at Stefan.

-Time Skip-

"Please tell me I wasn't out of my mind with leaving Damon in charge of vampire amnesia 101." I stared in defeat as I walked around the parlor slowly.

"What exactly did he say?" Caroline asked from the other side of the phone and I rolled my eyes.

"One text—'So far, so good', which in Damon talk means—" I started with a sigh before she cut off.

"—means they probably devoured a group of Girl Scouts by now." Caroline countered and I smirked in amusement.

"Caroline." I replied with a small chuckle and she laughed a bit as well.