EB 36: Where she's working on herself

Endless Bonds Copyright © 2019 xXMopelXx All Rights Reserved.

Chapter Posted - January 12, 2020

Thank you for still reading if you're here <3 I hope you enjoy this installment. 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

C H E R 

:: Chapter (36) :: Where she's working on herself

N O V E M B E R

The great thing about being back home? Thanksgiving dinner with my extended family.

Admittedly, October was hectic for us so we're having it later, around the first weekend of November, but we're still having it.

We all gather at my uncle Dean's house and it's nice to be surrounded by such a joyous atmosphere, after the depressing week I've had with Trent leaving my place and Ethan telling me Pierre never did me wrong.

I've pushed all those haunting thoughts aside and pasted on a smile for the sake of everyone. Please, let this last for the next three hours.

My mom and I are instantly greeted once we step through the Anderson's jaw-dropping mansion. The hired help takes our coats and the towering croquembouche my mom has prepared for dessert.

Sharlene comes down the winding stairs, her curvy body poured in a red sequin mini number with full sleeves and matching Louboutin pumps. Her thick brown mane is tamed in a chignon and she's got ruby chandelier earrings – yes, I'm 100% sure those are real because Ethan would never give her less – adorned in her earlobes. She's looking stunning and I'm saddened by the fact that the last time I saw her was three months ago.

I really need to get better at keeping in touch with my family.

"Cher!" Her mouth – painted red as well – breaks out in a grin as she advances towards me with arms wide open, expecting a hug.

"Hi, cous." I hug her back with equal fervour. "You look amazing!"

She pulls away with a laugh. From my peripheral vision, I see Ethan mingling with other family members, but his eyes never straying too far away from his girlfriend. He catches my gaze and gives me a lazy wink, before his attention is diverted back to the conversation he's having with my great-uncle.

"Thank you, babe," she says. "So do you."

Obviously, thanksgiving dinners are more casual than the infamous soirées my uncle's side of the family likes to throw, but Sharlene just needs an excuse to overdress and be her charming self. Me, on the other hand, I'm wearing my favorite black skater girl skirt with a black turtleneck so even if I stuff my face, I won't look too bloated.

It's not long before she twines our arms together and steers me into the huge dining room.

My mouth waters when I spy mountains of food, especially the Ukrainian delicacies that I enjoy so much. Being Canadian of half Ukrainian and French descent, I had a hard time growing up and connecting to my culture, but food always provided that bridge.

Sharlene could probably understand, considering she, too, was half Ukrainian and Barbadian – the latter from her mom's side.

I wasn't really in touch with my Ukrainian side, considering that my biological dad was out of the picture and it wasn't like my French mother could teach me sufficiently on a culture that wasn't hers. Despite my parent's nasty separation, Uncle Dean made it clear that my mother was still part of the family, hence why we always came together to these family gatherings.